Chapter 9

The tingles receded as the last of the uncontrollable magic escaped Misa's fingers. With a sigh, she stood and stretched her back. The late afternoon sun left much of the courtyard in the shadows. The days were getting colder, and there was a chill in the breeze that seeped through Misa's sleeves. She shivered and rubbed some warmth into her arms.

When she turned, the guards stiffened. Tarak looked away under the guise of cracking his neck, and Vern, the third guard, began to whistle. Misa frowned. The guards had been acting this way since her daily excursion to the courtyard, and it was beginning to get just a bit irritating.

"What?" she said, narrowing her eyes.

"What do you mean?" Tarak rolled his shoulders. Ullo took a sudden interest in the flowers that had bloomed from Misa's magic.

Misa glared at him. "The three of you have been acting strange since you saw me today. What's going on? Why are you acting so cautious around me?"

The three guards exchanged looks. Ullo shrugged. Vern tilted his head at Misa and nudged Tarak towards her. Yes. There was certainly something going on. Something about Misa that she wasn't aware of.

"Well?" Misa prodded.

With a resigned sigh, Tarak rubbed the back of his neck and said, "We've heard some things going around the palace."

Misa's stomach tightened with dread. She couldn't keep her expression neutral. The apprehension was too much. "And?"

Tarak cleared his throat. "Look, I already told you I don't give a horse's behind about rumours that spread around the palace, but I've had enough of people asking me questions concerning you."

"Me?" Misa swiped at a lock of hair that blew into her face. She shuddered, though she didn't know if it was from the cold or anticipation. "Why would anyone talk about me?"

"It's no secret that Prince Perrin has a rather...indulgent lifestyle, especially when it comes to women. And, you must remember, Captain Bentham is well-acquainted with the prince."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Misa was beginning to get impatient. She didn't see what connection there was between her, Royle, and the arrogant prince.

Tarak gave her an apologetic look before he even asked, "Are you targeting them?"

Misa couldn't stop the scoff of disbelief that escaped her lips. Fury bubbled in her chest. "What?"

Tarak shrugged. "There's talk that you may be playing the both of them. A witch let it slip that you've been involved with the captain. Are you trying to use him to get to the prince? I'd advise you to not play any games while you're here. It's dangerous territory." As if to prove his point, he rested his hand on the pistol holstered on his belt.

Misa's blood boiled. She knew exactly who would have started the rumour. For what reason, she did not know, but the implications it brought about around her and Royle ignited a temper that she thought she had left behind a good while ago.

"I have no idea what planted such a preposterous idea in your heads, but that is not true. Not one bit!" Misa clenched her jaw so hard she could feel the strain in her teeth. "Prince Perrin has been a thorn in my side since the day I arrived. I want nothing to do with him, and I have no interest in anything he has to offer."

"It's true then?" Ullo blurted out. "About you and the captain."

There was no denying that. The truth had already come out; Nisha knew about them long before they had come to the palace, and Misa saw no point in hiding it anymore. At least, if she told the truth, it would be one less leverage Nisha could hold over her. "I've known him before I came here. He's..." She lowered her voice, the thought of him calming the raging fire that had ignited in her gut. "I would never trade him for anything or anyone."