Chapter 33

Misa looked down at the familiar cadet uniform fitting her in dismay. The old, familiar abandoned shed had served its purpose, and Misa stuffed her dress into her duffel bag before she marched through the hessian curtain that still hung from the door.

"Happy?" she said to Royle, who was waiting for her outside, taking care to lean on the sturdy wall instead of the flimsy door.

Royle nodded. "Come along."

"Royle." Misa didn't move, and Royle had to pause before she continued. "Why did you want me to change?"

"You're not staying in a tavern, Misa," Royle said.

"What?"

"I had you change because you're going to be staying with me at the purgehouse accommodations."

Misa choked. "What? You must be joking!"

She waited for him to confirm that this was, in fact, a joke. A simple prank he had pulled on her for whatever reason his strange mind could think of. When all she got back was a raised brow that suggested the opposite, she elaborated.

"I can't stay with you, Royle."

He crossed his arms. "Why not?"

"Because..." Misa bit her lip, unable to voice her thoughts. These feelings she needed to sort out would only go out of control if she was in such close proximity to him. She needed space between them, a distance that wouldn't cloud her judgement.

"We won't be sharing rooms, Misa," Royle said. "You've been sharing a roof with Torren for the past few weeks. Why should it be any different to share a roof with me?"

Because you're different! Misa wanted to yell. Instead, she swallowed and said, "I simply don't think it's right. A captain and a cadet? What nonsense is that? We're supposed to avoid a scandal, not fuel it."

"There's nothing wrong with a captain making sure a cadet from his purgehouse doesn't cause any trouble. This isn't an uncommon situation, Misa. No one will suspect there's anything between us unless you make it obvious."

"Are you implying that there is something between us?" Misa's voice was shrill even to her ears.

Royle's eyes narrowed. "I don't know exactly what is going on between us. I won't know for sure until you make up your mind. But, I do know this." He stepped closer to her, even as Misa backed away until she hit a wall. He rested his hands on either side of her head, caging her with his presence. He leaned down, closer, closer, until his lips brushed her ear. "Our relationship isn't entirely innocent."

Misa couldn't stop the thrill that struck her like lightning, jolting from her ear all the way down to her toes. In return, a flush crept up her skin, like ink dipped in water, up her neck, staining her cheeks.

"Um..." Misa couldn't think over the pounding of her heart. She pressed a hand against Royle's chest and pushed. "Okay, Royle. I'll-I'll stay with you. So just..."

When he straightened his arms, Misa ducked below them, slipping back into the open air. She had to stop backing herself into a wall around him. She took a deep breath of air.

"And..." Misa looked away, trying to find anything to change the subject from their relationship. She saw her pouch swinging from his hip as he stepped away from the wall. Pointing at it, she said, "That's mine, isn't it?"

"This?" Royle cupped the bottom of the pouch with his hand. "Yes. I found it lying on your bed after you left for Harthem. I figured I'd carry it around so as not to lose it. Do you want it back?"

A nod from Misa had him untying it and tossing it to her. She instinctively pulled it open to sift through the contents. Her belongings were still inside, and the only difference was the addition of Royle's button.