Chapter 3

"What if someone sees?"

Misa stared at the brown stallion before her, taking in its rumbling girth, its strong, long legs, and the muscles that trembled beneath a velveteen coat. It whinnied, shook its head, and pawed at the ground. Misa took a step back. In all her sheltered years, she had never been allowed to ride a horse, and it was only when Royle had saddled the stallion and asked if she could ride that she realised the problem. He had then suggested that she ride with him.

"It's admittedly not ideal, but we shouldn't get as much attention if you changed out of your uniform."

"I only have my uniforms and nightclothes." Misa looked down in dismay. It was the only reason she'd opted to wear such an uncomfortable attire on Dailib. "I do have the witch festival costume, but that'll attract as much attention as this uniform. I'll need to buy some men's clothes one of these days."

And though she stated it, Misa really didn't plan to. She had used up most of her loncs in Harthem, and at this point, she was stuck at the purgehouse for the free food and shelter.

Royle let out a breath in thought. He let go of the horse's reins. "I suppose it can't be helped then. Come along."

"What?" Misa gave him a confused look, but he brushed past her and led the way back into the purgehouse. He took Misa past the mess hall, and instead of turning left towards the offices, he continued on towards the right, where cadets were forbidden to venture. It wasn't until he opened a door nestled next to a closet that Misa understood why. This was where the higher ranks resided.

She studied the expanse that the doorway led to. It spread out to be slightly wider than the hallway she'd just passed through, and several doors stood at intervals as separate units.

"You live in the purgehouse?" Misa said, following behind Royle as he led her deeper into the living quarters. "Don't you have your own place? I was under the impression that higher ranks preferred their homes over their workplace."

"I haven't been back to my residence for a long while," Royle said, almost in a confession. "I find it much easier to come and go when I live where I work. It saves me a lot of time when I'm in need of a file that can't leave the purgehouse."

"Of course." Misa shut her mouth for the rest of the walk. She wasn't sure she wanted to know why he was so obsessed with Nisha, but she had to know at least what his true intentions were before she could fully trust in him enough to work together.

He halted in front of a plain door and pulled out a black key. Unlocking the door, he held it open to let Misa in first.

His quarters were cosy, and in no way as luxurious as a purgehouse captain's home should be. A kitchenette, which was immediately next to the door, was the first thing Misa saw. It was nestled in the corner, with only a small stove, a few cabinets, and a sink. A small counter with a stool barred the mini kitchen from the sitting area that was only furnished with a comfy sofa next to a fireplace.

Royle moved past Misa, encouraging her to follow him towards a corner that had two doors. He opened one to reveal his bedroom.

A small cot, well made as if it hadn't been used had his uniform draped over it; next to it was a desk busied with books, papers, an ink bottle, and a box of...badges and awards? A wardrobe loomed over it, and a solitary window with a thin curtain bathed the bed with sunlight. It was incredibly...humble.

"Don't mind the mess." Royle pushed aside a pile of papers in a crude attempt to clean up, then snatched the few articles of clothing strewn atop his bed. "I wasn't planning on inviting company."

He threw open his wardrobe and tossed his uniform in before proceeding to dig through the drawers. All this, he did as swiftly as possible, as if he didn't want Misa to see what was hidden beyond the sleek, mahogany doors. Embarrassed. The captain was embarrassed. Misa hid a smile. He was more human than he seemed to want to let on, and she wondered if Nisha had something to do with how closed off he'd become.