Chapter 33

Misa paled. Her knees wobbled, but she somehow managed to remain standing. "Y-you're Nisha?"

Nisha's lips curled into a smile that seemed almost motherly. "So you've heard of me. I'm not surprised."

Misa shivered. She couldn't see any of the evil that Royle had told her about. Nisha reminded her of her own mother, and Misa couldn't imagine that the witch was capable of destroying villages, massacring whole populations in her wake.

"H-how...?"

"Rithian was kind enough to inform me that my sister's successor was looking to get into the market." Nisha stretched out a hand, and Misa flinched away. She stiffened when the witch patted her head. "I can definitely see Tika within you. Her magic runs strong in your veins."

"Tika is your sister?" Misa shuddered at Nisha's touch. She wanted to step back, but fear paralysed her.

"My dearest," Nisha replied. For a moment, her eyes flashed into something sinister, and even in that brief moment, it struck a fear so deep in Misa that she thought she had seen death itself. "But, enough about her. You want to learn how to bewitch?"

"I only need to learn how to stop it before it starts." Misa's breaths were light, and she felt like she was hiding. From what, she did not know. "I already know how to read people to see which bewitchment spell is the most effective."

Rithian coughed. "Enough chatter. Nisha will show you how bewitchment is done."

Royle! Misa's heart skipped a beat. If Nisha was going to bewitch him...What were they planning to do with him afterwards? Surely someone as cruel as Rithian and someone as powerful as Nisha wouldn't just let him go.

"No!" Misa blurted out. She tensed when Rithian's narrowed eyes glared at her. If Nisha wasn't here, Misa was sure Rithian would have hit her for that. "I mean, I already know how to bewitch people. I just want to know how to stop it when it starts without my permission."

Nisha smiled. "Is that so? Then perhaps you can show me how bewitchment is done."

"Me?" Misa swallowed a lump in her throat. It would be a better alternative, but she wasn't sure how Royle would react if he saw Nisha.

Rithian scowled. "To see her poor excuse of a bewitchment spell over yours? Nisha, it's a waste of time. You're here, so you might as well show her how it's done."

In a flash, Nisha's arm shot forward, and her fingers clasped around Rithian's throat. Rithian could only manage a surprised croak that cut off as soon as Nisha tightened her grip. Shock, dread, fear struck Misa's heart. Her eyes widened in disbelief. She hadn't even seen it happen. One moment, Rithian was sneering at her, and the next, she was struggling under Nisha's hold.

"Are you telling me what to do, Rithian, witch of enchantment?"

Rithian clawed at Nisha's hand. Her desperation and fear gave Misa no satisfaction. It was only when Nisha loosened her hold that Rithian could muster a raspy, "No," before being dropped to the ground. She coughed as she held her throat.

Nisha beamed as if she hadn't almost killed her kind in front of Misa. "Now. Why don't we do that? You show me how you bewitch. I'm sure Tika's magic will be marvellous to watch."

Misa could only nod, her throat too dry to produce any sounds. There was no way she'd survive such a vicious attack from Nisha. Not when Rithian, who was stronger than Misa, could barely catch her breath after the ordeal.

"That's a good girl." Nisha grabbed a lock of Misa's hair, tucking it behind her ear. Misa stiffened, but the witch only chuckled. "Are you afraid of me?" Misa could only nod. "Good. Good. Fear is good."