Chapter 8

Standing in front of the building that was the purgehouse, Misa sighed. A cold shadow was draped over her, the midmorning sun hidden behind the walls. She was glad for the warm package she held in her hand, but her heart sank at the thought of going back inside, pretending to be a boy training to become a man. She could feel a buzz of electricity shake through her, the power Tika had stored in her still adjusting to a new body. It drained her energy to think about every secret she had to keep to herself.

Just for a little longer, she told herself. Just until we find Nisha and get rid of her and...yeah, that's never going to happen.

Steeling herself, Misa ascended the few wooden steps that led up to the door. It was already wide open for the comings and goings of officers. The purgehouse bustled with movement, uniformed officers at their desks with paperwork or marching around to go about their business.

They ignored Misa for the most part, only giving her furtive glances when she got in their way. Her heart still wavered with a terror that they'd see through her disguise, but as usual, nothing about her femininity was brought up.

As Royle had instructed, Misa walked towards his office, posing herself as a cadet returning from an errand. He had dropped her off close to the market, giving her the opportunity to grab something to eat. The best she could find was a small pie from a street vendor, and she took the liberty to buy one for the captain, if only to further the errand-boy narrative.

She rapped her knuckles against the thick, wooden door, and a muffled voice permitted her to enter. The moment she entered the small office, cut off from the rest of the purgehouse, Misa let herself relax.

She stood in front of Royle, a smile on her face at the mere sight of him. He was busy with documents, as usual, but not so unreadable. It was difficult to believe she couldn't stand to even look at him almost two months ago.

"I brought you something," Misa quipped, placing the pie wrapped in cloth on his desk. It was nice to be alone with the captain. There was something about his presence that calmed her heart and quelled her fears.

Royle plugged his pen back into its socket.

"You didn't have to." His eyes softened. "But thank you. I'll have it later. For now..."

His expression turned grim. Misa's stomach coiled. It was time to talk about the thundercloud looming over them.

"Take a seat. This may take a while."

With a gulp, Misa complied. She waited until Royle joined her on the other side of the low table to speak.

"So, what are we going to do?"

"I've sent the request to go to Harthem as soon as I entered my office," Royle said. "But processing it will take too much time. I...don't have a plan." He lowered his head, hiding his eyes in the shadow of his cap. He rubbed his face. Dejected. Tired. Misa could read him so easily.

"Nisha might have gone into hiding," he continued, his voice barely above a whisper. "I made a mistake trying to kill her the moment I saw her. We've lost the element of surprise. I...I don't know what to do anymore. Tika would have known. She always does."

Misa's heart ached to see Royle so despondent. His confidence had shattered, and the vulnerability he was showing her was too much for her to ignore. She knew he didn't want her pity, or even her sympathy, but there was nothing much else Misa could do when he was opening up to her with so much pain and helplessness. She hadn't realised how much Tika's death affected Royle. He always wore that cold, emotionless mask, and it was easy to forget that he could hurt as much as anyone else.

"Royle..." Misa chose her words carefully. "I'm sure you'll think of something. Just take your time, give yourself a break, and don't push yourself so hard. And, I know I'm not going to be much help, but I'm here for you."