Chapter 14

Tingles blasted through her, mingling with the short bursts of magic that cycled in her blood. Misa's heart skipped a beat, galloping against her ribcage. Her lungs constricted, and she suddenly felt that the band around her chest was a little too tight.

Royle had cupped the lower half of his face, perhaps out of anticipation or perhaps out of fear. He straightened and rubbed his hands together when she finally looked at him. His scowl deepened, and something flickered in his eyes.

"Do you really believe what you said?" he asked, caution melding with anger.

Misa swallowed, still needing that water. She couldn't deny the effect he had on her, the way he sent a shiver through her just by looking her way. The fear returned. Misa had reached a line she thought she'd never have to even look at, and now she was toeing at it, wondering what it would be like on the other side while knowing well that the moment she stepped beyond it, she could never return.

Misa's heart ached, tugged by the confusion, the conflict within her. "I...don't know," she said. Tears threatened to fall. Helpless. Misa felt helpless, dragged back to that dark place she couldn't stand, with a million shackles pulling her deeper and deeper. "I don't know what to think anymore."

"I would never hurt you," he said, soft, almost pleading. "And while it's true that you're helping me find Nisha, I won't sacrifice you for my own goals."

Misa wanted to believe him. She so desperately wanted to believe what he said. But, she just didn't know anymore. Not when he had deliberately placed her in a position she despised, in a place where she suffocated and yearned for the sky, like a bird with clipped wings.

"Misa, I'm sorry." Royle scrubbed his face. "I'm sorry I put you in such a difficult position, for keeping you in the purgehouse, but you must understand that I had no choice."

"No choice?" Misa sniffed, wiping her nose. "You refuse to give me a good reason for keeping me here, so how could I understand? How could I possibly understand?"

Royle shook his head. "I..."

Misa waited. And waited. When he didn't continue, she let out a sigh. Nothing had changed.

"You can't always have it your way," she said. "No matter how meticulously you plan something out, no matter how well you trap someone to do your bidding, you can never control what they do." She stood, wanting to get away from all the confusion and hurt. "Just know that, Royle. You can't keep me trapped here forever."

"Misa, wait." Royle followed her to the door, grabbing her wrist. "It's difficult to explain, but keeping you in the purgehouse has nothing to do with my plans."

Misa twisted her wrist from his grasp, tears welling up in her eyes. It was just so frustrating. He was so closed off and difficult to reach, and Misa couldn't keep prying for his deepest thoughts when he continuously cut her off. "I just don't know anymore, Royle. I-I have to go."

She spun around, threw open the door, and stormed out. She was nearing the iron gate leading to the cells when everything crashed down on her, and Tika's magic once again exploded, leaving Misa crumbling to the ground with a sharp ringing in her ears.

She gasped, clutching her heart in a desperate attempt to stop it from burning. It pounded hard, like an old drum that would tear at any moment, threatening to burst through her chest and leave her for dead.

No! Misa pushed back at the sporadic stream of magic that didn't have a path paved for it, spreading through her as if it had no idea where to go. Stop it!

Her eyes strained against the tunnel closing in on them. She could feel them pulse in her sockets, and she was sure a vein or even the whole thing would burst and leave her blind forever.