Chapter 38

There was an awkward tension in the room that Misa despised. She shifted in her seat, waiting for the silence to be broken by something other than the clinks in the kitchen, where Torren had gone to prepare them some tea.

Leira sat on the couch, tight-lipped and just as antsy as Misa. At the very least, she hadn't protested when Misa took a seat next to her. It was a small gesture, but it spoke volumes to Misa, giving her some hope that maybe they would be able to be as comfortable around each other as they once were.

Still, there was a barrier between them, a wall that had been built. It wasn't the silence between them that bothered Misa so much as the lack of words. Misa had thought she'd be able to handle Leira's defenses, planning to talk to her and act as if nothing had changed between them. Because to Misa, nothing had changed. Leira was still her friend, and she didn't want their friendship to break after everything they had shared.

The only problem was that Misa had no idea what to say. As much as Misa didn't want to see it, there was a shift in their relationship, and even though Misa had never chosen to be a witch, the fact did not change that she had magic in her veins. It was this simple difference that had broken Leira's trust. To Leira, Misa had been an imposter. Misa was not who Leira thought she was.

Something warm brushed against her hand. Misa looked down to see Royle's fingers curl over her knuckle and squeeze.

"Are you okay?" he asked in a low voice.

Misa smiled and shrugged. "I guess so." She laced her fingers through his, welcoming the comfort of his firm grip.

Misa glanced at Leira, flushing when she saw the girl staring at their hands with furrowed brows. She met Misa's eyes, tensed, and looked away. Misa wished to know what Leira was thinking, to clear whatever misunderstanding that might be circling her mind.

Misa had once told Leira that she could never think of Royle the way she did now. Was that why Leira looked so confused? Or did she think Misa had bewitched the captain with her magic?

Sweat broke out, a wave of heat suffocating Misa. The tension had thickened so much that Misa could practically see it clouding her vision.

"Lei-"

"I'm sorry that took so long." Torren sliced through the thick atmosphere with a tray in hand. He dropped it on the table in front of them and distributed the cups of tea. A plate of cookies remained in the middle.

Misa clamped her mouth shut. She supposed talking to Leira could wait. For now, they had plans to discuss.

"Take a seat, Lieutenant," Royle said. "We need to think about what our next move will be."

Torren complied. His brow shot up when he noticed the contact between Misa and Royle. That was enough. Misa released her grip, expecting Royle to do the same. He didn't, even when she pulled.

Torren grinned. "Well, I'm glad we sorted some problems out. So, how do you plan to tackle this next one?"

Misa shot him a glare, but it seemed she was the only one who caught the teasing underlying his words. Royle tightened his grip.

"Our ultimate goal remains the same. Nisha must be eliminated at all costs."

Torren whistled. "That's not going to be very easy, now will it? One wrong move, and there will be no treaty between the royal council and the witches. How do you plan to get away with killing one of their kind?"

Leira stiffened but didn't say a word. Royle raked his fingers through his hair.

"Nisha won't follow their rules." He let out a breath. "She burned a village to the ground thirteen years ago, and she will do it again. If we can convince the other witches to see what a danger she is to the public, perhaps we can get rid of her without causing more bloodshed."