Chapter 16

The mountains were more beautiful than Misa could ever have dreamed. She had thought she knew them by seeing paintings done by other artists, but compared to the real thing, the representations were muted at best. Bright green trees coated the summits, gradually turning into a mix of vibrant violets and blues towards the peak. They were dipped in snow at the tips that glistened in the setting sun, and a few peaks disappeared beyond low clouds. Misa glimpsed a thin line of dark blue beneath the trees, and her heart fluttered when she imagined how much more beautiful it would be if she got close enough to see the deep lake blanketing the path to the summit.

Then, they dipped down a path between groves of trees, and the colors were lost to browns and darker greens. Misa sat back with her chin resting on her palm, disappointed that she couldn't get more seconds to burn the scenery into her mind.

"We're almost at Harthem," the captain stated. "Remember when we arrive to not speak unless spoken to."

Misa didn't hold back the sigh his command brought. "Yes, sir, whatever you say."

Captain Bentham straightened his shoulders. "And it would do you good not to answer in that sarcastic tone of yours. A disrespectful cadet reflects poor disciplining on the captain's, and in turn the purgehouse's, part."

Misa didn't reply. She stroked Min-Min's ears. Maybe her silence would annoy him more than her fiery retorts.

"Get a good night's sleep tonight. We won't have time to rest starting from tomorrow."

Misa's heart clenched. Would she not have time to paint at all? Somehow, the notion of visiting landmarks but being unable to record them with her paints hurt more than not seeing them at all.

"Will we have time to ourselves?" Misa inquired softly. She was almost afraid to hear the answer. "When we're not in meets or looking for the witch market..." She dared to meet the captain's eyes. Her spell began, spurred by her deep desire to visit the mountains. "Will we have any free time?"

If the captain caught the pleading tone in Misa's questions, he showed no sympathy. His brows knitted, and he broke the spell with ease. "We may need to find a witch to teach you to suppress your enchantments when we arrive. As for extra time...Not likely. We're pressed enough as it is. If we take time off to dillydally instead of looking for Nisha—or her witch conglomerate—we'll be giving her more time to convince more witches to join her cause. And more time to increase her strength."

His refusal was like a stab to Misa's heart. He hadn't even hesitated to reject the idea. Disappointment weighed down her shoulders.

"Not even a few hours?" she tried.

Captain Bentham considered her question. "I suppose there will be a particularly unproductive day, but I wouldn't count on it."

Suppressing another sigh, Misa watched the dull trees pass by with little interest. She supposed it was expected. She had no paints or even a canvas. There wouldn't have been a chance for her hobby even if they had time.

They reached Harthem not long after the sun had completely set. Violet rays streaked the sky as if a giant was running a brush along a massive canvas. Misa envied the giant, but she pushed her wants to the back of her mind. Instead, she brought thoughts of destruction and burning villages to lock her focus on the mission.

They were welcomed with less hostility, especially at the Central Harthem Purgehouse, where a thin tall commander greeted them—well, Captain Bentham—in great eagerness and familiarity.

"Captain Royle Bentham," he said with a hint of pride in his tone. "How great it is to see you again. Congratulations on finally catching the witch killer. News of your heroism has spread all over the city. Keep this up and you'll get your own fountain one day."