𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

~͓̽~͓̽~

~͓̽~͓̽~

04 |ꜰᴏʀ ᴀɴ ᴀʀᴍʏ

𝐃𝐀𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐒
PENTOS

      𝐃𝐀𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐖, 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐎𝐒 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐌𝐀𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐖𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐆𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐈𝐒𝐇 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑 𝐁𝐎𝐀𝐓𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐒. The setting sun cast silhouettes of the the brick towers of the Free City, all of which were intricate bulbous domes and decorated with colorful geometric patterns.

      "Where's my sweet sister?" The voice of Viserys spoke, making Dany unconsciously straighten her posture. Not long after, he rounded the corner, a silken plum colored fabric in his hands. 

      The Beggar King approached his sister. "This is beauty." he said. "Touch it. Go on. Caress the fabric."

      Dany touched it. The cloth was so smooth that it seemed to run through her fingers like water. She could not remember ever wearing anything so soft. It frightened her. She pulled her hand away. "Is it really mine?"

      "A gift from Magister Illyrio," Viserys said, smiling. Her brother seemed to be in a high mood tonight. "The color will bring out the violet in your eyes. And you shall have gold as well. And jewels of all sorts. Illyrio has promised. Tonight, you must look like a princess."

      A princess, Dany thought. She had forgotten what that was like. Perhaps she had never really known. "Why does he give us so much?" she asked. "What does he want with us?" For nigh on half a year they had lived in the magister's house, eating his food, pampered by his servants. Dany was fifteen, old enough to know that such gifts seldom come without their price, there in the free city of Pentos. 

     "Illyrio is no fool," her brother said. Viserys was a gaunt young man with nervous hands and a feverish look in his pale lilac eyes. "The magister knows that I will not forget my friends when I come into my throne."

      Daenerys said nothing. Illyrio was a dealer in spices, gemstones, dragonbone, and other, less savory things. He had friends in all of the Nine Free Cities, it was said, and even beyond in Vaes Dothrak and the fabled lands beside the Jade Sea. It was also said that he'd never had a friend he wouldn't cheerfully sell for the right price. 

      Dany often listened to the talk in the streets, and she heard these things, but she knew better than to question her brother when he wove his webs of dream. His anger was a terrible thing when roused. Viserys called it "waking the dragon."