prologue

Come Back... Be Here (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift

———————————————————————

Three Years Ago

"Pick up. Please my god, pick up." I start speed walking down the sidewalk, breathing uneven, breaking a slight sweat.

I pull on the collar of my t-shirt as I wait for the call to go through.

"This is Juliana. I'm not here right now. Leave a message, beep!" She giggles at the end of the message, and the automated voice box actually beeps this time.

"Juliana. Please, respond back to me as soon as possible. We need to talk." I clear my voice before hanging up.

I send her, yet, another text message before I finally put my phone away.

My head is running at 90 miles an hour and is completely clouded with thoughts. Thoughts that wouldn't be there if my best friend just picked up her damn phone to explain the whole situation to me.

The bright sun beams down on me, and the heat and humidity makes me want to die. I fucking hate the summer sometimes. The only redeeming quality of it is the no school part.

I continue the walk to my house, sweating my ass off, passing by the playground that's in the center of my neighborhood. Screams, laughter, and yelling all come from the playground.

I look into the gated playground, seeing all the happy kids running around carefree. I wish I could be them right now. Living life without a care in the world, and your biggest problem you'll face is convincing your mom to buy you ice cream from the ice cream truck.

All my problems, all my anger with Juliana disappear for a moment as I look at the two little kids playing in the sandbox, laughing and throwing sand at each other.

———————————————————————

Eight Years Ago

I hide behind my mom's skirt as I look at the large playground towering over me. Kids are running around everywhere, laughing and having fun with others, and it seems like there's no place for me to fit in.

My younger sister, Delainey, is already off playing with some other kids. It's never an issue with her. She fits in anywhere. I, on the other hand, don't. I can make friends, but in a new area like this, it's scary.

New York has proven to be more scary than Florida. The driving here is insane, and it seems like everyone has a trucker's mouth. Even though we live two hours away from the city, everything here is so different than Florida, and I hate it.