What game are you playing?

Glancing up from my book, I caught glimpse of a shadow on the wall. I called Drayce’s name, wondering if he’s home already but I got no reply. I havent been home long. We spent the night at the hospital and just got discharged about 2 hours ago. Drayce had to head over to someone's house or something but I didnt think he'd be back till at least 3. It's only 12. Hm.

     Taking a quick look over to the crate, the wolf pup slept peacefully with the door ajar. I’m beginning to trust it a little more, it hasn't bitten me again and when i got back it immediately ran to me and whined like it was worried. I probably judged it too soon. It's been in his crate since Drayce left so I didnt bother closing it. He clearly knows I'm a bit nervous.

     Hearing something fall, the wolf pups ears and head shot up, looking to me for reassurance. Slowly, I crept off the couch and tip toed into the kitchen. I let out a ear piercing scream as someone grabbed me, dipping me backwards and holding a knife to my neck. It was all a blur, but all of a sudden the wolf pup sprang across the kitchen running full speed, lunging upwards and sinking its teeth right on the intruders face. I pulled free and wrestled for the knife before anyone got hurt.

     They took off running as soon as the pup let go. My heart pounded so hard as I hurried to lock all the doors and windows with the pup following me closely. Damn. Not so much of a pup now. Holy hell it grew fast. The dark lupine now twice his size stared at me intently, deciding weather or not I'm in danger I assume.

     Snatching my phone off the table I dialled Drayce’s number. I can feel warmth dribble down the front of my neck a little. I wiped it off thinking of it as sweat. “ Someone broke in and- and they tried to kill me. I locked the doors but I’m scared.” I said, hearing him answer.

     “ Okay, okay, I’m coming! Stay put!”

     Sitting down on the floor of the bathroom, I hugged the wolf tightly… He licked at my neck but I pushed his head away. Im not in any kind of mood for this. Ugh... My arm started to ache so I rubbed it. The cuts are well on their way to being simple scars but the bruises are a bugger.

     It didnt seem to be long before I heard footsteps trample in. Drayce quickly found and grabbed me, wrapping me tight in his arms. I spotted Cam holding a gun tightly just inside the hall by the doorframe, glancing around. “ Oh, baby- you’re bleeding.” Drayce said, touching my neck.

     Cam took a look around the house while Drayce helped me clean my neck. I told him what happened and how the wolf jumped in to protect me. His eyes lit up excitedly.

     “ It works then! The elixir works! I knew it would! I just knew it!” He cheered. He hustled off. I followed him and found him digging in his leather jacket. He pulled out a vial with a thick dark liquid inside and a needle.

      I grabbed the bottle of morphine and shook out a handful while I watched Drayce wrangle the wolf and administer the contents into its arm. Cam was just about to say something as he watched me shove them in my mouth and look through the cupboards for a cup.

       Washing them down with water, I furrowed my eyebrows seeing his expression still stuck firm on his face. “ That was a lot of pills, Nat. You sure you’re okay?”

     “ Oh fine…. Once they kick in.”

     Glancing down at my phone again, I noticed notifications popping up. I clicked on it and found a argument going on in the comments between some random dude and Kyle. Not over his artwork that I had shared earlier but over me… Lovely.

     ‘ Lmao, now she’s a hoe for her bro! Lmfao Drayce gonna tear you apart.’

     ‘ Wtf is wrong with u? Leave her alone, douchebag.’

     ‘ Stfu, she’s a traitor!’

      Oh god look at these comments! Holy hell can you say protective brother? I feel so loved...

     Scrolling down, skipping a few comments, I skimmed over them.

‘ She’s living her life. Unlike some people, who only has a life on the internet.’

     ‘ She’s living the wrong life homie. Not my fault if you wake up one morning to find out that your sister was brutally tortured and killed.’

     ‘ U ppl are fucked. The only ppl I see trying to hurt her are u dumbasses who are so god damn self centred. It’s all about you, you, you, " I want a hero, she’s gotta play by the rules of society’s made up bullshit!" Fuck u, bro. Leave her alone, she’s not doing anything to hurt anyone.’

     " Hey." Cam spoke quietly, taking a glance at my phone then up to my eyes. " If you need anything you can call me, cool?"

     I nodded, furrowing my eyebrows. Why's he being so... Not so bad guy all of a sudden? I mean earlier he asked if I was okay and now hes saying I can call him if I need anything? What's he up to?

     He nodded towards the door so I followed him. As I stepped outside on the porch with him, he shut the door. Okay- What is going on?

      Cam glanced at his motorcycle that he rode in on. " Wanna go for a quick ride? Drayce won't even notice you're gone."

     What? What is this guys deal? Why is he trying to get me out of the house and out somewhere with him? He's up to something, I know he is.

     I stared up at him, watching him closely. " Look. I'm gonna make myself clear. I'm not a toy. My feelings are not your playground and my life isn't your game so you're not getting me involved into whatever you're trying to do and I'm not falling for your kindness. You were the one who was a dick before."

     " Drayce trusts you so why shouldnt I?"

     I searched his eyes. " What game are you playing?"

     " No game. Honest truce." He replied solemnly, raising his hands in surrender. " We can be friends instead of enemies."

     I nodded once. " Fine but I'm keeping an eye on you."

     He grinned, flickering his eyes over me. " Fine by me. I will do the same."

     My gaze pierced through his. I need to know what he is doing. He has bad intentions I know he does and I'm certainly not going anywhere with him. Not now, not ever.

     " There you are!" Drayce's voice popped up scaring the hell out of me and making me jump, holding a hand to my pounding heart. " Mind going to meet up with Luke? He's got something for me but I gotta keep an eye on this wolf. I tweaked the dose so I don't know if it's enough or not. Cameron can go with you if you need."

      " I can go by myself it's not difficult."

     " It's fine I'll go." Cam assured. " Might need help."

     " No I'll go by myself. I don't need a god damn babysitter! I can take down guys twice my size! " I shot back sharply, sending dagger eyes at Cam, hoping he'd spontaneously catch fire. Sure poke the bear Natalie. Good job. Just start yelling at him, maybe he won't stab you in the neck.

     Drayce and I stared at each other. His gaze curious and confused, yet amused and cocky at the same time. A small grin made the corner of his lips tilt up into a smirk. He knows I can take care of myself. Obviously. I've been kicking his ass for how long? Yeah he always managed to get away but not without multiple cuts, bruises and a few times broken bones.

     Drayce pulled a set of keys out of his pocket, handing them to me. " I know, angel. Take the hellcat."

     I took the keys from him. " Thank you." I replied, taking the edge off my voice just enough to sound semi polite. " I'll be back. Where am I going?"

     " He said he's at home. You don't have to go inside."

     I nodded, standing up on my tippy toes and giving him a little kiss. Good to get outta here and away from Cam. He's being weird...

     Walking away I slid into the hellcat and started it up. It came to life in a loud roar at first then toned down into a steady rumble.  I let it sit for a moment while I got my seat belt on and checked the mirrors before backing it out of the driveway and taking off. If I catch Cam following me I'm gonna be pissed.