Chapter 35

I told myself I would not let the problems of my friends become my problems.

If Twyla wanted to fall for a guy that had no intentions of making her his girlfriend, fine!

If Chantel wanted to fall for said same guy but I did not disclose what type of guy he was, fine!

And Allura falling in and out of love with the same guy for the last four years, big deal!

Not to mention, Gay was being, gay.

Their life, their problems. I needed to focus on mine.

Schoolwork was getting better. I did not feel as if I was being buried alive. Once I got my study habits on track and stuck with them, I was able to keep up with the rest of the class. Todd still tutored me some, but it was not the same. I did most of my work on my own.

Any free time, I tried to spend with Diallo. All week, we studied together, or hung out in his room, very rarely my room. I did not want to have to face Twyla or Allura that much. Things were great!

"Want to go to a movie this weekend?"

I was in Diallo's room, typing away at a paper that was due tomorrow morning. I could not think straight about what my weekend plans would be.

"I might be busy?"

"On Saturday?"

"Yeah."

"Doing what?"

I grabbed my phone and looked at it. I didn't have any plans, but it would be my only free weekend before Homecoming and my friends came back down. My plan was to hide out in my room and get some sleep. That probably was wrong, since Diallo wanted to do something with me.

"Movie sounds fine."

Diallo nudged me with his elbow. "What's wrong? You don't seem happy to hang with me besides doing something like homework."

"No, that's not it. You know I like spending time with you. Sometimes you know, you just want downtime."

"Downtime includes fun time. We hang out at the dorm all the time, need to go outside and get fresh air, touch grass, have some fun." He nudged her again. "If not the movies, whatever you want to do."

I smiled at him. Mr. Perfect being perfect again. Of course, I deserved downtime. I needed it in fact. Not wanting to hang with my roommates, all I had was Diallo right now. Maybe it was what I needed.

Saturday morning, Diallo came to my room, and we went to get breakfast in the cafeteria. He was well-known on campus, maybe for being a RA, maybe for being President of ABC. Lots of people wanted to stop and talk to him, especially girls. Pretty girls, popular girls, girls of all different races, girls that were a lot older and more experienced than me.

I mean, I'm standing right there with him, but that did not stop them from flirting. I was not worried, Mr. Perfect was perfect after all, he only had eyes for me.

As for me, I still was a nobody on campus, even though I dated the big man on campus. No one knew who little Rayvn Lawrence was. That dorky girl that made a big entrance in English 101, or that girl that covered herself in food in front of the whole football team.

At least I owned it.

Even though some girls were trying to invite themselves to breakfast with us, Diallo told them no, and it was just us. I wish some of his popularity would rub off on me. I didn't need to be super popular, but it would be great to be known for something other than a catastrophe.

We were finishing breakfast when Allura and Twyla came over to our table with big smiles.

"Hey you guys," Allura said with a giggle.