Chapter 78

"I didn't tell you that to make you...feel any kind of way."

Oh no? Sure sounded like it to me! What was I supposed to do with King saying those three little words? Words I just heard from my ex weeks ago?

"I know uh...uh..." I had no words.

Here I was telling King I was ready for sex with him but he shocked me even more saying something I did not expect to hear. He was in love with me. Me? What did I even do to deserve his love?

"Rave, it's cool, stop overthinking." King kissed my forehead. "I've been feeling this way about you for a while and...I didn't see why I needed to hold it in. And seeing you with your parents and family...I guess it has me all soft and mushy."

"It's not soft." Finally, I found my voice. "I think you're incredible."

"I'll take that. We better get some sleep so we can hit the road early."

"Sure."

We watched TV and fell asleep right there on the couch cuddled together. If my father would have come home and seen us like that King would lose all his cool points.

It was the best sleep of my life, having him so close to me smelling good. I dreamed of happily ever after with King. One day we would be married and have kids and a big house and-

Yes, I was getting ahead of myself. I couldn't even tell him "I love you" back. I was not the best girlfriend in the world.

Soon as we woke up, we dressed and stopped to get my morning coffee and a muffin. King drank green tea and had egg bites. Then we were on the road.

I texted my father let him know we were leaving and that I would be back on the weekend to spend time with my sister once she was home from the hospital. I needed to be on campus all week or else I would have just stayed home. I had two projects due. I would leave first thing after I turned in that project to come back to St. Louis.

"You have to work tonight?" King asked me when he pulled up to my residence hall.

"Nope."

"Wanta hang out? We can study if you need or-"

"Sure. That would be fine." I leaned over to kiss him, but I still had no reply to him saying he loved me last night.

I made my exit and headed to my room. I had to think about my feelings for King. Did I love him?

How could I not?

He was a great guy who had done everything right. He was everything I was looking for in a guy. He had the looks, like Diallo. He was smart, like Chantel. Considerate and romantic like Perez. Besides all that, he was perfection even if there was no such thing. He was as close to it as one could get.

But I had to focus and get my head back in my classes. One week of classes and then it was finals week. I was coming into finals feeling pretty good. My classes were not that hard and I was doing well in them so finals were just another test.

Gay, Chandler, and I were going to hang out before my next class. So I'm headed toward the Union and who do I run into? Someone that was not on my good side.

"Donnell, what do you want?"

"I'm not trying to start trouble with yo ass. Have you talked to Chantel?"

Honestly, I had not talked to her in weeks. If she wanted to be with this loser, not listen to what I said about him, I was going to stay out of it.

"No. You two are moving in together or whatever, having a baby, and-"