Chapter 67

It was Spring Break time and I was so ready for this.

A week away from school, homework, and the stress of day-to-day. The icing on the top was that King would be there. We chatted it up for days before he took off to Kansas City to meet with his friends before they flew off.

Gay and I were taking the long drive in my car. This would be a first for me and even Gay. Good thing for GPS and lots of gas stops to refuel and tinkle. It was exciting for me, to see places other than St. Louis. We stopped at a few monuments and took pictures.

"Girl, I wanta meet some hot boys...and girls, and get my flirt on!" Gay shouted out in the car as we were two hours away from Daytona Beach.

"Whaaat?" I chuckled at her. "I thought you and Felix were good?"

"We are. Don't mean I can't flirt and play around."

"That's exactly what it means!" I added a laugh but it was not funny. I did not want my friend to be a cheater. Cheating was wrong.

"Hey, I can't be you and have my man on the trip with me."

"King and I...we're not, together. Not like that, we're just friends."

"What is the holdup? You're on the phone with him dang near every night. You're hanging with him all the time. Just make it official."

I wanted to, but something was still holding me back.

"It's like this. We make great friends. If we went there, made it official with kissing, hand holding, and...other stuff, we may not have our great friendship anymore."

"Truth. But if you're great friends that would make a great boyfriend. You're wasting time not trying it out."

Maybe Gay had a point. Just go for it and see if things worked with King. A good relationship started as friends and King made the best friend to me right now. We could talk about anything. We talked about our classes and what we hated and loved about them, we talked about our families, about our future. I even told him all about Diallo and where things went wrong.

I told him about Todd off course, which is why he stopped by to check on me often, without being overbearing about it. I told him about my date with Perez even.

He did not get jealous about it, nor did he question me dating others.

I never asked him if he had other girls he talked to. My insecurities could not handle it. I wanted to be the only one he was interested in.

Selfish, I know.

"It's funny, as much as I know about King, I don't know much about his friends that will be here." He told me their names. William and Tre. He grew up with them and went to school with them, but they all split up for college.

"Maybe they are cute."

I rolled my eyes at Gay. What if King's friends did not like me? What if they thought he could do better than the poor, little kid from St. Louis that did not even love herself? That had a basketcase mother, low self-esteem, and suffered from depression. Maybe they could see all that when they met me.

I shook negative thoughts out of my head. This was going to be a vacation, my first as a new adult and I was going to live it up. Not focus on things that put me in a funk.

"I wish we had fake IDs so we can get some drinks."

"Speak for yourself!" Gay pulled out her wallet and then an ID. "According to this, I am twenty-three and ready to par-tay!"

It was only right Gay had a fake ID. She was the queen of party town. I was so glad she was here with me to share this with.

Once we made it to our new place for the week, we looked around the large house. It was nicer than my grandmother's home I was raised in but had nothing on Angel's house. There were two bedrooms, a large living room, a dining room, a kitchen, two bathrooms, and a laundry area with a foosball table. That was not all. We were right off the beach. The beach was in our backyard. The view was amazing