Chapter 44

I spent Wednesday at Angel's store, Upscale Designs. I worked the cash register as it was a big sale day. Unlike other places having big Black Friday sales the day after Thanksgiving, Angel was closed for business that day, giving herself and her employees time for family.

In fact, they surprised me and told me we were all going on a family vacation starting Friday morning. Flying out to Phoenix Arizona to have Thanksgiving there as well, with her parents who lived there. My aunt Shay and her husband and kids were coming as well.

I had never been out of Missouri, much less flown in a plane so I was excited. We were going to pick Symone up Friday morning and she was coming as well. I asked Symone to do my braids while we were there, she was a pro at that stuff.

Thanksgiving dinner was great, mostly prepared by my father, but Jared and his boyfriend came over with a few dishes as well It was just us, not a lot of family for dinner and I liked that just fine.

"Are you able to fly with that big belly?" I asked Angel when I helped her clean up after our meal.

"Big belly?" Angel looked down at herself. "This little thing?"

"You're bigger than you were with AJ. Maybe it's twins."

"Girl, shut it."

We laughed at that. When they told me Angel was pregnant with AJ, I was shocked. I did not know my father wanted more kids. I didn't think Angel liked kids. They weren't even married at the time, simply living together. Now I know better, you didn't have to be married to have kids together.

Look at my parents. Young and immature when they had me. My mother still hasn't grown up.

"Angel, did my father talk to you about...my mother?"

Angel quietly put things away before she said anything.

"Angel-"

"I don't like this at all, Rayvn. She's a grown woman with a child, that should be her responsibility. Jalon shouldn't have to suffer."

"I know. Maybe I can stop by before we leave and drop off some food."

"Oh, don't worry, your father sent Alonzo to go buy three hundred dollars worth of groceries for them, then said he would buy more the week after next."

"What?" I wondered how Angel felt with my father taking care of my mother and another child.

"Of course, you know she didn't care about the food, she wanted the money."

"I can give her some, I have plenty."

"I can't tell you what to do with your money, it is yours, however you want to use it. I just say...do it because you want to, not because you feel threatened to do so."

After we cleaned up, I texted my friends. They were so jealous of me flying away for a few days. Only three days and then I had to fly back, but it still was going to be great.

My first time on a plane and it was a blast. We flew first class and I was geeked out. Symone and I took pictures like we were superstars, posing and having a good time. I posted them on my Instagram account to break the norm of my mundane postings. Not that I had many friends that would care. Chantel and JuJu liked my pictures. King liked them as well. That made me smile.

Phoenix was a great looking city. Just like St. Louis, only hotter. My step-grandparent's home was nice with plenty of bedrooms. There was a huge bedroom setup up with two bunk beds. Symone and I would take one, and my cousins Dahlia, EJ, and Dominique were on the other. Even though they were a lot younger than me. I did not mind sharing and spending time with them.