Chapter 37

The weekend was not going as planned so far.

My friends and my roomies were at odds. I had to somehow fix things.

After the party, when we made it back to the room, my roommates were not there.

"I hope they bitch asses don't come back," JuJu said. "I need to lay hands on somebody and they might just get them."

"JuJu, no! We can discuss this and be civil about it. Maybe it was all a misunderstanding."

Yeah, right. I had a feeling I knew what this was about. Donnell. The boy that was not worth it had somehow created this drama. No matter how I tried to stay out of it, I was in it now.

Even Diallo warned me to stay out, but there was no way I could. He stayed late till the entire party cleared out, but I was not trying to stay that late. Back in my room, we changed and got ready for bed.

"Yo, I might have to see y'all in the morning," Chantel said as she grinned at her phone.

"Donnell?"

"Yes! I need to go see him." She jumped up from her spot on the floor. She looked down at her pajama shorts and t-shirt. "Should I change into something cute?"

"Why? You're about to get naked," JuJu said with a laugh.

"True dat!" Chantel headed out of the room. "See you guys later."

"Wait!" I jumped out of the bed. "Please be careful. Wear a condom and...I don't know, just watch out for that one."

Chantel sighed and rolled her eyes at me. "Oh little Rave, I'm not the one that needs to watch out. Tell that to your roommate!"

"Oh, I want to tell your little roomie how my cuz Chantel gets to spend the night with him, and not her," JuJu said with a laugh.

I buried myself under my covers in bed. This was not what I signed up for.

The next morning, Chantel was still not there, nor were my roomies. Not totally strange. Allura may have stayed the night with John. Twyla, maybe she found someone else and moved on from Donnell.

I texted Diallo, he texted back that his mother had arrived on campus. They were going to the tailgate in an hour and he wanted me to meet him there.

I quickly showered and did my best with my hair, then put on the most conservative attire I could find. A Mizzou t-shirt and denim shorts that were not too short. When I was all done, JuJu took her shower to get ready to come with me. I was glad she would be there as a buffer for me.

We were almost ready when Chantell finally walked in with stars in her eyes.

"I don't even want to know," I said to her.

"All we did was talk all night, and all morning," she said with a smile. "Rave, I really like that boy."

I groaned.

"No, for real, he feels the same. It's not just a link-up with us. We get each other."

"Great," I mumble.

"Were you guys going to leave me?"

"I texted you but you were so wrapped up in that boy," JuJu stated. "we're going to the tailgate thing, Rave has to meet her man's mother."

"Oh, well, as exciting as that may be, I wink I will stay here in the room."

"All alone?" I asked.

"Yeah, get some real sleep. By the time you guys get back, we can do something."

I shrugged at her as we made our way out of the room. Long as she stayed in the room and out of trouble, I had no problems leaving her there.

There was an air about the main campus because it was Homecoming weekend. Maybe because I was still new at this I did not see the big deal. Alumni and others came down to campus and partied over the weekend. That seemed the extent of it to me. Maybe after I graduated I would see the big deal. It's not like we were at an HBCU. I hear their homecomings are legendary.