Chapter 41

Homecoming weekend was over, my friends were gone and I was alone Sunday night in my room sulking because I was no longer talking to my roommates.

Now what was I going to do? I did not make friends so easily. I would spend the rest of the year all alone, with no one to talk to. Well, I came for a degree, not friends. I cracked my book open and tried to study but my brain kept getting distracted.

Maybe I should apologize to my suitemates?

Maybe I needed to get a new room assignment?

Maybe I needed to transfer and go to college in St. Louis. There I could be closer to my family. I missed them.

I grabbed my phone and went through Angel's Instagram account which was always popping. She was looking very pregnant, but so cute. I could not wait to get home and rub her stomach. And eat lots of food. Maybe I would help with her Black Friday sales after Thanksgiving at the store.

That made me smile and finish my work. The best gift I could give my parents was the news of good grades. I finished my work and then crept out of my room, ignoring my suitemates sitting on the sofa talking loudly about me.

"She better leave!"

"Can't even speak, but whatever."

I was not down for any of that today. I left the suite and went to see Diallo. I didn't even have to knock, his door was open and he was there with his sister. The television was on and they both were watching Grown-ish, my favorite show. Their mother left early in the morning after she had breakfast with them, and Diallo wanted to unwind after spending all day Saturday with her.

"Hey guys, can I hide out here? It's like the Arctic Circle in my room."

"Why?" Diallo asked, even though I told him everything that was going on.

"Because her roommates are bitches," Gay said and pulled me down to sit in between her and Diallo. "They actually called and told me to not talk to you anymore because of what your St. Louis friends did, but what does that have to do with me? You are still my lil homie."

"Thanks." It was nice to still have Gay to talk to, even though she and I were on different planets as far as I could tell.

You want me to talk to them and get them straight?" Diallo asked.

"No!"

"For real. It's part of my RA duties to make sure suitemates, roommates, everyone is getting along."

Gay rolled her eyes at that. "Listen, fuck those hoes. I never liked them anyway."

I did not believe that. Gay seemed cool with everyone.

"Didn't you..." I looked to Diallo then whispered to Gay. "Didn't you make out with Allura?" I did not know how much of her business she wanted Diallo to know, so I did not want her to get mad at me as well for spilling her business.

"Just a couple of kisses," she said with a grin, then winked at me. "I kiss a lot of girls, means nothing. Lots of girls want to explore, and hey, I'm here for it."

Diallo pulled me towards him. "Don't kiss my girlfriend."

I turned red. For real, yes, I'm brown-skinned, but surely I turned red from shock, embarrassment, and fear. I kissed his sister. And liked it! I think I started to hyperventilate as if he could read my face and already knew my dirty deed.

This was the perfect time to tell him, and I opened my mouth to say it when Gay said something first.

"I knew you liked her, why would I kiss her, bro," And just like that, Gay and I had a secret that would never be told. I was not ever telling, and surely she felt the same. I better forever stay on her good side, or else she would rat me out.