Chapter 62

Black History Month was upon us, and even though my floor only had the two of us, we made sure everyone on it learned something every day.

This was Gay's forte, as she downloaded facts in Black history and posted them throughout the hallway. She also planned a trivia night for the whole residence hall. She worked with our Resident Assistant, Samantha, and the Hall Director, Ms. Amy. It was floor by floor, and some floors easily had more than fifty percent on their team.

On my floor, without Gay competing, I thought we would come in last place. There were six of us on the team, and my face was the only brown face.

To my surprise, we were hanging in there. The questions were based on the history that Gay posted on our floor, so if everyone paid attention, we all knew the information.

There was another floor, the one with mostly African American students that were our biggest competition. It also happened to be the floor that Rodney was on. They were awesome, like super nerds to know all of that, even though some of those things I would not have known without Gay's help.

"Rayvn, you should know all of these!" Chandler said to me after we missed so many and fell behind.

I rolled my eyes. "Because I'm Black?"

"No! Oh my gosh, I did not mean it like that." Chandler's face turned red, nearly bright as her red hair. "I meant...because Gay is your roommate. You should have all the answers."

"I didn't cheat. I did not look at the answers." And if she thought I should know every little Black History fact simply because I was Black...well, I believed she should know everything because she was white. I was not going to have that discussion with her.

We lost, but at least we came in second place. Pretty good for our floor to have the least amount of diversity. After the game, there was punch and cookies, and music playing so we could hang around and discuss.

"Sheesh!" Gray said when she came over to our group. "Now Samantha and Ms. Amy think I should go out for RA like my brother. No way, so not me."

"You would be an awesome RA!" Chandler stated.

"I'm a rule breaker...I don't like enforcing the rules. Anyway..." Gay grabbed my arm and pulled me away. Guess what?"

"I hate guessing games."

"I know someone who likes you."

I was not here for this. I did not need another boy to obsess over right now. I was doing fine all alone. I could still see King whenever I wanted and throw someone else in the mix when I was still unsure of who I wanted, well, it was not good.

"Gay, I am not trying to date anyone."

"Damn, did my brother mess you over with relationships? The first boy you ever kissed, but trust me, there are more out there."

"And I am not interested." I started to walk away but she pulled me back.

"Rayvn, look." Gay pointed to the group that won where it was five Black players and one Hispanic. All of them were guys, so I had no clue who she was pointing out to me. Besides Terrance, I did not know any of the others.

"What am I looking at?"

"He likes you."

"Who? Which one?"

"The one that kept staring at you the whole time we played. You didn't see him?"

I shrugged. I was not paying attention to the other team, except that they were good. None of the guys were looking at me now, they were all talking and laughing. They were more connected than our floor was, and maybe that helped them to win. Then again, before Gay and I came, there were no Black students on the floor.