Chapter 77

I don't think I was that child whose parents considered them a "bad kid." Sure, I may have done some silly things when I was younger as most kids do, but I considered myself a good kid. I would never defy my parents.

Except this one time.

Once we hit the St. Louis County limits, I texted my father to ask which hospital they were in. When he answered, I did not let him know I was twenty minutes away from that hospital. I would show up and see how he would feel.

We pulled up at St. Mercy Hospital parked and rushed to find what room Angel was in.

"I think this is pretty cool being here for your fam," King said as we rode the elevator up. "It's good you're real close to your stepmom like that, and have your father in your corner."

"I would not be here...I mean, at Mizzou with my Angel, I mean, my Mom. And I mean Angel...not my bio mom, who could care less. "

King knew all about my mother and what she was like. He did not know that I sent her money, because then I would have to explain the money Angel gave me. I was not ready to disclose that with King. I was sure it would change nothing with him, yet, I did not feel he needed to know. Money changed people. Not me, but others around when they knew someone had lots of money. I was thankful Gay did not change after I told her.

"Well, I better thank her for guiding you to Mizzou so we could meet." He gave me a big smile and I had to steal a quick kiss before the elevator door opened.

I rushed to find the room because the baby could come any minute and I did not want to miss it. Once we came to the room, I hesitated a bit.

"What's wrong?" King asked me.

"Uh...you might want to stay out here and let me see how they are." I timidly knocked on the door. Angel could be in the throes of pushing out my little sister. I wanted to be here for the birth, but not see the visual of it.

The door swung open and it was my father.

"Yeah, I figured you would come down anyway." My father pulled me in a hug. "Love you, baby girl."

"You're not mad?"

"I would never be mad over this." My father kissed my cheek and then looked over at King. "Hey, what's up my man."

"What's up, Mr. Lawrence." They gave each other a brother-man dap that made me smile. I liked that they got along, or at least my father was not mean to him.

"How's Angel?"

"Come on in and see for yourself. "

"I'll just go wait..."

"Naw, come on in, you're good," my father said to King.

Angel was sitting in her bed, breathing hard, but covered up. She did not look like she was in any pain or anything. I heard giving birth was the worst pain ever.

"Hey step mummy!"

"I'm so glad you're here." Angel reached out her hand for me and I took it. "I'm sorry we said you couldn't be here. You wanted to be here, and here you are. That just means you're going to be the best big sister."

"I hope I'm already that to my other sister and brothers," I said. "I just wanted this one to be special. I want to be the first to see her. Well, outside of you and Daddy."

"I appreciate that." Angel looked over at my father. "Your father and I think you should name your sister."

"What?" I looked to my father, then Angel, then back to my father as he nodded. "Me? I...I...I haven't thought of anything. I thought you already had a name."