*Chp 23*

Her face turns deathly pale. Her pupils dilate and her eyes go wide but she still cannot move as she's still restrained by something. Her reaction had a similar effect to waking me up from a trance as I'm sure my expression mimics hers now I've realised what I've done. What Have I done? Her body drops towards the floor and I quickly jump from my desk and catch her as best I can. Whatever just happened I caused, I know that now, and now I know what harsh consequences my actions could have inflicted. Not only could I have hurt Kate but I could've hurt her child. The child growing inside her. Kate's pregnant and I came so close to damaging that little boy, not even 5 months in the womb. Not even born yet. What type of a monster am I?

I can't support Kate for long so slowly I lower us both to the floor. I'm on my knees, with the head of the barely conscious Kate in my lap as the tears slowly fall down my cheeks and start to fall on her forehead after that. How could I have done this? I feel arms wrap around me from behind but I try to push them away. I don't need Brendan's comfort right now, I don't deserve comfort. I know he's upset, he's offended I won't accept his comfort but I can't! I just can't. I change positions so I'm lying on the floor beside Kate, still holding her. Strangely she doesn't pull away but moves closer to me for comfort as she starts sob. I know why though, she isn't upset she's sort of happy. Finally there's someone who knows, finally there's someone she can tell. Like me knowing is finally forcing her to admit the situation to others and to herself. Now I know, Kate is not evil. She's a victim of circumstance, just like me.  

"Aless, please get up. Let Kate be."Jeff spoke but I shook my head from where it was against her shoulder. I'm not leaving her now. From the corner of my eye I see Brendan dragging the other two out I the room, mumbling something about this not being to time or place, and I send him a small smile. He understands.  

I hold the sobbing Kate even closer and whisper general words of comfort in her ear. 

********

It feels like hours we lay there. Eventually Kate fell asleep in my arms and I decided it was time to move her somewhere more comfortable. I was going to shout for Brendan but I had a feeling he was busy. And I didn't trust any of the other guys not to judge her or ask questions because if they lifted her they would surely know she was pregnant. Quickly looking her over I figure Kate's about 5"5, a bit taller than me, and I could tell she was about average build beneath the baggy clothes she'd been wearing to hide her baby bump. Deciding I had no other choice I whip out my mobile and call Taylor.  

"Hello?" 

"Hey Taylor? It's me." 

"Allie you OK? You've been up there for like 2 hours and Mr Thompson, Derek and Brendan all left to go somewhere, what are you still doing upstairs?" 

I sigh, "I don't really have time to explain but I'm with one of Brendan' cousins Kate upstairs in the library. She's fallen asleep and I can't lift her on my own. Would you come help me?" 

I can almost here her smile through the phone, "I'm flattered and it gives me a great excuse to escape from Liam. He's been following me everywhere! He just won't piss off! He keeps telling me to move in with him and he hasn't even asked me out yet! I know I like him but I don't trust men that easily." 

"I know Taylor, I'll help you deal with him later of you like. But you can't tell him where you're going, he'll insist on carrying her and I can't let any of the guy touch her. Ok?" 

She sounds confused but doesn't question me, "Ok. I'll be there soon." 

I give her directions then hang up.

Not five minute later Taylor comes strolling in, "What on earth happened here?" 

Without even turning sound I answer, "Me."