*Chp 9*

I slowly wake up and start to yawn, stretching my arms over my head as I start to mentally prepare for the day ahead. Then I realise I'm in a strange bed in a strange room and I don't know how I got here. Did something happen last night? At the thought of last night all my memories from the day before come rushing back, particularly the ones regarding the attack and out of all them it isn't the attack my mind seems to focus in on, it's the memory of the eyes of my rescuer.

There's no doubt in my mind who my rescuer was, I know it was Brendan. I would've known he was there even if it had been pitch black I think, but the question is what happened to his eyes. I don't feel up to finding out right now so I decide it's time to make a quick get away. It isn't that I'm not grateful,because I am, it's just...I'm too emotionally exhausted to process much else tonight, let alone some sort of huge confession on Brendan's part. I'll talk to him soon, just not now.

I look down and see myself wearing a night gown, I can't help but blush a little at the thought of Brendan changing me but I'm still wearing my underwear so it's not so bad. Plus I also see it was done for a reason as, although I didn't notice last night, I must've been hurt during the attack because I have a large blood stained bandaged covering my middle. There's also a few cut and there is some bruising from where my attacker grabbed me which all look like they've been cleaned and treated as best as possible. It kind of hurts to move too abruptly but I can feel that the cut isn't too deep. I'll live. I see my own clothes folded in the corner and I get up to grab them and put on my boots. My uniform is a little blood stained and there's a hole in the shirt so I'm going to have to try and get a new uniform now.

I grab the clothes and notice that there is a balcony and outside. A quick look out the glass doors shows me that at least Brendan has taken me somewhere on campus. There's even a trellis to climb down and we're only on the first floor, it's like something out of a movie and it shouldn't be too hard to get out of here. I'm just opening the doors to slop out when I hear voices in the hall. Naturally curious I stand closer to the only internal door in the room and listen.

"She almost died! What would have happened if I wasn't there? What would I have done without her?!" A voice started, first shouting then turning to sad and forlorn and a bit scared. It was Brendan's voice and it almost broke my heart to hear him so upset, he'd always come across to me as so cocky and arrogant.

A strange voice which I did not recognise joined the conversation," No one could have predicted that attack. It was completely unrelated to any of our business."

"That's besides the point! This school is meant to be the safest place we have, seriously securely protected with regular patrols. The only more protected place within 1000 miles is the Hub itself! How did a lowly human get past such extensive measures?!"

"Calm down sir, we're looking into it. It was just a glitch I'm sure."

"A glitch? A glitch? And so you're telling me we wouldn't've had this glitch if it had been an actual enemy of ours who could have killed many people in minutes and by the time I would have gotten to Alless she would have been dead and cold! I want this security problem fixed today Michael, and I mean it!"

There were a few muttered responses from this Michael guy but I couldn't hear then anyway and I just wanted to go back to my dorm now. Actually, what I really wanted was to curl up in Brendan's arms but he was busy and I had decided earlier to avoid him for now. As I make my way onto the balcony and started climbing down my way down the trellis I try and avoid the obvious questions running through my head, manage to find my way back without much thought to where I was coming from and collapse in my own bed at about 4.35am.

********

My alarm went at 7am as usual but I just turn it off and send a quick text to Taylor so she can tell my teachers I'll not be in. I also ask her to pick up Molly after classes and bring her over here. I know Taylor won't ask any questions, I'm starting to suspect she's hiding some secrets of her own and I've never pushed her for answers so I know she'll respect my privacy in return. Then I go back to sleep again.

Hours larger on woken by a pounding on the front door. How I can hear it from my room I don't know so they must be banging pretty loudly, didn't they notice these dorms come with doorbells? I was just going to ignore whoever it was and go back to sleep, I'm still emotionally and physically exhausted after last night. I turn off the light again because I know it isn't Molly and Taylor yet and no one else coming to my door holds the slightest bit of interest to me.

I'm just drifting off again when the banging resumes and this time an angry and slightly desperate sounding masculine voice accompanies it. "Alless! Allie! I swear you better open this door or I'm coming in some other way." It's Brendan. I should've probably guessed he would come after me. I whisper back, "I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm just too tired to get up or even reply to you properly apparently. I just can't seem to get my voice to talk any louder."

I know it's impossible but it's almost as if he heard me because next thing I know I hear the sound of metal snapping and Brendan's made his way through the dorm and is standing in front of my bed. I smile at him weakly and he looks relieved to see me but also a little worried looking.

"How are you?" He asks.

"I'm alright, I promise I don't feel as bad as I look, I just feel drained and took the day off."

"I panicked when you were gone this morning and I got even more worried when you didn't show up for lunch so I came straight here. I swear, next time you're off for the day, text me."

I laugh at him a little but secretly I'm glad he cares soo much.

"I don't have your number. Not my fault. "

He promises to give it to me at the next possible opportunity. Then he looks me straight in the eye and goes," Alless, I've something really serious to discuss."

I just smile up at him weakly, "I know but can it wait a little? I'm still not 100% yet."

He looks relieved that I already sort of expect something and he nods in agreement but then he just sort of stands there awkwardly. I come to the sudden realisation I want him to hold me and I want to feel his body close to mine. "Brendan? Will you get into this bed and just hold me? I know I'll sleep better with you here."

"Of course," he says before removing his shirt ( which is a fine sight might I add) and his shoes and jumps in beside me with just a quick kiss on my forehead. In his arms I feel happy and safe and, finally emptying my head of all the questions I'm dying to know the answer to but at the same time don't want to know yet about his conversation and especially his eyes, fall asleep instantly with a sigh of contentment.