*Chp 24*

I blink at her incredulously, as if my eyes themselves were denying what Kate has just implied their importance to be. She can't be right. I know she can't be.  

"Kate, you have to be kidding me. You think this girl is me?" 

She nods, "Yes. In my mind there is no question about it, I know this girl is you." 

Quickly flicking my eyes around the room I see all the boys and Taylor looking at me and Kate in shock, except Mr Thompson who looks very deep in thought.  

I barely even acknowledge their reactions before responding to Kate again, "But my eyes aren't that strange! Is this why you reacted so badly to me when we first met? How would you have even been able to tell?" 

"I was suspicious of Jacobs being the evil being almost immediately after he left, I don't really know why but he just seemed to fit the bill. Plus it would explain why he managed to trick me into thinking I was his mate. And then you came along. There was something about you from the start; beautiful but small and shy and for some reason wearing sunglasses. You fit the age group, a few years younger than Maurice. Jeff is one of the strongest alpha's in the world so naturally Brendan would make a strong alpha, not to mention the fact Brendan had the opportunity to be alpha so you fit the bill in both those respects as well. I just had to know. I'm sorry you got upset by what happened but I couldn't hang around when I proved myself right, you still hadn't shown any power so even if I tried to tell you the truth you wouldn't have believed me. I needed you to come to me and eventually you did."

The room remains silent for far too long. Kate has a point, I do seem to fit the bill. I can't argue with that. But can Kate really be right? Am I really going to have all these battles ahead of me? Where we're all going to have to put our lives on the line? I don't know if I can deal with that amount of pressure. Brendan doesn't say anything but he's there for me, I can tell. He holds me tighter against his chest, as if by holding me in his arms and never letting me go I'll never get hurt. Strangely enough it's almost like I can feel all this emotion coming off him but I'm not sure if that's a mate thing or a 'feeling'. Either way I'm grateful for the thought and give him a quick peck on the lips and a smile to show him my appreciation before snuggling further into his grip. I know he can't protect me from everything but maybe, just for the moment, both of us can pretend that he can. Derek is pacing and Taylor looks extremely worried and has subconsciously moved closer to Liam who now has his arm sound her shoulders.  

Jeff is the first to break the silence, "As horrible as this news is it still raises a few questions. I don't like the idea of Alless being in any danger but what about Jacobs? It said he will help out enemies but that raises the question, who are our enemies? Yes, the rogues are enemies of every werewolf but they have never been a particular threat. They crave our blood but they do not have the sanity to plan with any consistency or hold any particular grudges against us as to think us enemies." 

"Well that's obvious isn't it," I answer, "It's the hunters." 

They all look at me like I'm mad, "What? It's obvious isn't it? I don't need some magical powers to tell me this one. Who were we worried about before the rogue attack? The hunters. Do we have any other immediate threats or enemies after so long of peace? No. Who else could it be?" 

Derek speaks up, "I hate to point this out but why would rogues and hunters work together?" 

I come up a blank but thankfully Brendan hasn't and throws in, "Maurice, why else?" 

Taylor then decides to add her 5 cents, "I get that but why would the hunters need the rogues? I know my father and he would not make a deal with Anyone linked to werewolves lightly."