Stay Gold

Yoongi pulls up in front of a building, there's a valet waiting outside

Yoongi pulls up in front of a building, there's a valet waiting outside. He walks over to the driver window. "Good evening, sir, I'll park your car." Yoongi turns off the car and hands him the keys. He steps out of the vehicle and walks over to my side of the car, helping me out of it. Bucket seats are even harder to get out of when you're in heels.

He holds my hand as we walk inside the building. There's someone standing by the door. "Dr. Min! Glad you could make it. I'll show you to your table." We follow behind the man that's wearing a tuxedo. He shows us to our table, I recognize someone sitting at it. "Here you are sir, have a great evening."

We take out seats and Namjoon greets us. "Hello again." I smile at him and greet him. Yoongi says hi but looks away, he seems embarrassed. Maybe I should have told him about his foolishness after the ceremony.

"I'm surprised you're walking hyung. You were wasted last night." Yoongi laughs awkwardly, I grab his hand to hold. "Sorry Namjoon-ah, I was nervous about tonight. I hate speaking in front of crowds." I look over at Yoongi, he did seem nervous. I didn't know that about him. I squeeze his hand. "Don't worry, you'll be great." He looks at me and smiles.

There's staff that rolls out carts filled with plates. They hand everyone a plate and I look down at mine. It's a steak ribeye, a baked potato and steamed broccoli, it smelled delicious. "I chose your food for you; I hope you don't mind." Yoongi whispers, leaning over at me. I grin at him. "No, this is perfect!"

We dig into our delicious food as tonight's speaker takes a small stage at the center front of the room. "Hello ladies and gentlemen! Welcome back to the APAA. Enjoy your meals and then we will begin the award ceremony!" He steps away from the mic, and everyone scarfs down the food.

Our table and everyone else's slightly listen as the announcer speaks names of people and offers for them to come up. I didn't recognize anyone that he mentioned, but still clapped like I did.

"Dr. Kim Namjoon." I look over at Namjoon and he smiles that perfect smile, and steps onto the stage. He's handed some unordinary looking trophy in shining gold. He apparently won the highest rated psychiatrist on their website for the year. That was pretty impressive.

Yoongi rests his hand on my bare thigh, and I look down at his hand, I place my hand on his. He leans over to me. "I should be next. I'm so nervous." I whisper back to him, "You're going to be great, just be yourself. You're amazing." He grins and I kiss his smiling cheek.

Suddenly Yoongi sits up straight as the announcer steps back to the mic after Namjoon leaves it. "For the last and most important award, I'd like to present the Psychiatrist of the Year award to Dr. Min Yoongi. His rise to the top ranks was a sudden success in the past few years. He's helped countless people with his wise words, caring heart, and unconventional methods. Dr. Min, please say a word."

I grab him and kiss his cheek as the room erupts in a loud applause. Namjoon whistles and cheers and I join in. Yoongi shyly gets out of his seat and walks to the front of the room and grabs the microphone.

The room quiets as Yoongi clears his throat and begins to speak. I clasp my hands together tightly; I could feel his nerves from where I was sitting.

"Thank you everyone. This is the second time I've won this award and it's still just as surprising. I'd like to thank my parents who always supported me, my brother who always believed in me. I'd like to thank my best friend Namjoon who always stands by me and my girlfriend who's here with me tonight." My face explodes into flames, everyone looks at me before turning back to him.

"I hate public speaking." The room laughs and Yoongi smiles slightly. "I prefer to speak to someone one on one. I like to listen to that person's soul. You can't have that with a crowd. I don't think I deserve this award, but I'll gladly accept it. I just walk into my office every day with the intent to help someone. I just listen to my patient's problems and put myself in their shoes. I try to see the world through their eyes and strive to abolish their demons. No one should be afraid to be in their own skin.

I hear so many stories of abuse, rape, eating disorders, multiple personalities disorders, anxiety, stress and how some woman's husband cheated on her with her maid. I'll never stop trying to help people, it's what gets me out of bed every morning. This world is a dark place. I try to be a shining light in the dark. I'll continue to be the sunrise someone desperately needs in the pitch-black night. In a world where we feel cold, I'll stay gold." Yoongi holds up the gold trophy. "Thank you." He bows.

The room cheers and claps loudly. My heart is racing from his speech. He really is a shining light. He's shone to me in my darkest hours. He's the illuminance I seek when I'm swallowed up in my shadowy past. If anyone was golden, it was him.

Yoongi walks back to our tables with a giant smile on his face, Namjoon grabs his hand and shakes it. "Congratulations hyung." Yoongi sits back down beside me, and I throw my arms around him. I was so proud of him. "You did amazing! You almost made my cry!" I hug him tightly and he's all smiles. "I was so nervous." I kiss his cheek. "I couldn't tell. You shined." 

"