Chapter Two

I entered the school with a vibrant sense of optimism, holding my head high. My heels click against the blue vinyl tile flooring, causing people in my path to turn around. All eyes are on me as a break in the crowd opens up for me.

"Morning Addy," A freshman says, smiling with glee. I scrunch my nose, and with an upturned mouth and disdain look, I say it back. She giggles with her friends and runs away content.

"Hey, Adelaide!" Kenneth screams above the crowd waving his hands in the air. He's one of the tallest students at this school and the boy's volleyball captain. People think we should date because I'm the head captain of the girl's team.

"Sup Kenny!" I smile as I proceed towards my locker. He dashes through the crowd of kids behind me, approaching my locker and leaning against the one next to mine.

"Back to school party... this weekend... my house... parents are going out of town." He finishes his out-of-breath spiel and gives me an endearing grin as if he expects me to swoon over him like the other girls. I'm not going to, and I'm not interested, but I'm not one to pass up a good party.

I brush my fingertips down the side of his arm, hoping to give him a sliver of hope.

"I'll think about it." He smirks and takes a step back, gazing at me.

"Eww, Kenny. She's not interested. Move on dude." My best friend's voice breaks through the awkward silence. He looks between us before groaning and walking away.

I turn back to putting my books into the locker. "Thanks, Gi," I mutter under my breath to her. Gina is my best friend. Her mother is Melinda Lewis, or as the students at Clearwater call her, Principal Lewis.

My parents told me stories about how Mrs. Lewis used to come onto Dad back in the day. It was said that Dad never showed interest because Mommy was the only one for her. She and her husband at the time got a divorce when their daughter Gina was four years old. After trying and failing to get at my Dad for a while, she finally gave up.

Soon after she met Jessie, Gina's other mom, and they got married two years after Mom and Dad did. My parents eventually dismissed her flirting incidents as water under the bridge, and now they are all best friends. Which led to Gina and I becoming best friends.

"When will he ever give it up? He's been trying to get at you since freshman year." I just shrug my shoulders at her, putting away the books I don't think I'll need for classes this morning." Did you see Macy this morning? It's only the first day and they're already messing with her."

I sigh and close my locker, turning around to lean on it. As I glance across the hall, I see Macy sitting on a bench with her hoodie over her head. She is biting the sleeve of her jacket, and when her eyes meet mine, she rolls them and gets up to walk away. I lean my head back on the locker and groan. Gina laughs at me.

"When are you going to tell her Ads? You've been crushing on that girl since the 5th grade."

Gina is right, Macy and I were friends in 5th grade. I followed her around everywhere, and we were inseparable. But eventually, she started to get distant, and things between us changed. I never found out why though. When we reached high school, I became popular, and she didn't, so we drifted apart and never talked. I hate to see them bully her, but I have to uphold my popularity status until I graduate. I worked my way to the top and I'm not getting knocked off in my last year.

"You know if you and Macy were to get together, they wouldn't dare to mess with her anymore."

"You're right, but she would never want to be with me. We're complete opposites, and besides, she probably isn't even gay. Plus, don't you think I'll lose my popularity if the school finds out I'm..."