Chapter Thirteen

After leaving Macy's house, I texted my parents that I was coming home instead of staying at Gina. Not like my best friend will be home anyways. She left me to go get her freak on with Amber. My plan is to tell Mom and Dad everything that happened, in the hopes that they will understand why I butted in.

"YOU DID WHAT?" Mom shouts angrily across the living room.

Alright, never mind, they don't understand. Abort! Abort mission now!

I hang my head low, knowing now that they disapprove of me telling Macy she can stay here without their permission first. Dad is sitting on the sofa, swaying her head side to side.

It's now five in the morning, and I still haven't been to sleep. Dad woke up as soon as I texted her. They were both sitting in the living room sipping on a cup of coffee as if they had had the best sleep in their life.

"Addy, Sweet pea, what were you thinking?" Mom is usually on my side, but she's not today, and Dad is getting a kick out of it. I see the grin rising on her face as her elbows rest on her knees and her chin in her palms.

"Mommy, I just wanted to help her. You're mad at me, but Dad knew about this and didn't try to help her." I try to transfer the blame to her, and Dad puts her hands up in defense.

"Actually Princess, I have tried to help her, but there are things in the way. If I let the authorities know, she will be sent back into the system. She gets free tuition to any college in Florida because she was adopted from the system. College is her only way out of that house where Daniel gives her the drugs to feed her addiction. Well... it was the only way... you just gave her another way out."

"Alex?" Mom yells at her wife.

"What baby? It's actually a smart idea. As long as the authorities don't find out she lives here, and Daniel lets her leave, then we're good. Plus, it's a faster way to... you know... get them to..." She puts her fingers into the shape of two scissors and taps the centers together. Is she saying what I think she's saying?

"Alexandria, that's not what I meant by 'finding their way back to each other!'" Dad shrugs her shoulders and sinks further into the couch, knowing she'll get an earful about her comment later. "And you missy do not ever, and I mean ever approach delinquents or strangers trying to play the hero. That is how you get hurt. I applaud your bravery, but that was dangerous."

"She's right, next time, call me. I will always answer. You know that already."

I lower my head and nod. "I'm sorry."

"Forgiven."

I look up to mommy to give me the same pardon. She sucks her teeth and blows into her mug of coffee.

"You're forgiven. Back to this unconsented permission, you have given for someone to move into our house. Adelaide, what will your brother and sister think about her living here? What happens when doctors show up to help her, and she starts to go through withdrawal?"

"I don't know. Camden's old enough to know what's going on. As far as Ray, well... we can just tell her Macy's just sick, and that she needs to stay with us for a bit... she comprehends a lot at her age. She'll understand." I groan into my hands, frustrated. "Mommy, please. She needs help." I know she sees the desperation on my pouty face.

They both stare at me, then glance at one another as if having a private conversation in their minds. Mom sighs heavily and nods to my father.

"Fine. But she sleeps in the guest room, you hear me?"

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so much. You are the best parents in the entire world." I grin and nod vigorously, running to give her a hug.

"Mhmm, go get her room set up." I smile and run away before she changes her mind.