Chapter Twenty-One

Camden

Macy has been living with us for almost a month now. People at school continue to constantly ask me why Addy started hanging out with scum. I hate how people refer to Macy as that because she is anything but. They simply don't understand her or anything about her life. I was devastated when my parents told me that she had an addiction.

I'm glad my sister is attempting to help her though. Watching Adelaide take care of her is hard sometimes because I can see how much it affects her to see Macy in pain. It's a lot to take in, and it's obvious how much Addy adores Macy; I only wish they could've seen it for themselves years ago.

Her popularity at school has dwindled. Fewer hellos and good mornings are exchanged, and more staring and chatter can be heard from the hall's corners. They're talking about Addy like they've been talking about Macy since freshman year, but part of me wishes my sister wasn't as well-known. She put in a lot of effort to reach the top; I'm not saying she didn't, but it went to her head.

She became this rich, arrogant brat that people loved and fell at her feet praising her. Many of the families at Clearwater are wealthy, so the children use money as a way to hold popularity, like my sister did. Honestly, it's so pathetic because it's not even their money it's their parents.

Our family is different from the others at this school, at least the only family out about it. My father is intersex, and the staff and students are aware of this. The rumor only came about because Dad has pictures in her office of her children, and teachers begin to talk about how we were biologically both of our parents. I'm pretty sure that the students weren't even the ones to start the gossip. It was more than likely Principal Lewis when she was a teacher years ago.

It never had a negative impact on us. If anything, it made it more comfortable for students to talk to their counselors about their feelings of being different. Our school actually has a large number of students and faculty that are members of the queer community. I love my sister very much. She was my first best friend, and since she's been hanging out with Macy again, I've noticed a change in her demeanor.

Oliver, Layla, Mia, and I are waiting for Gina, Adelaide, and Macy to get their food and sit at the lunch table. The group has welcomed Macy with open arms. We all see Macy's pain, but we try to keep questions about what's going on with her to a minimum at school. We're all aware of her addiction. The Reeds, Links, Wests, and Lewis's are close-knit families. Our parents are best friends, and we were all raised together.

Our houses are all down the street from one another, and we've always celebrated our birthdays and holidays together. We've always been encouraged to have the strongest bonds with one another. We have never been one to reveal family secrets, like what uncle Roger and Dad do for work. Aside from our father being a guidance counselor, we all know she joined uncle Roger at an intelligence agency. That information will never leave the confines of our home though.

We're eating, and the football team arrives at our table before the girls do. "Hey dude, is it true that your sister is dating that dyke?" Chase laughs as he turns to face his boys. I glance at my friend Miguel, who is standing behind him. I'm furious that he feels it's acceptable for his teammate to mock the school's queer community when he himself is one.

"And so, what if she is?" I say standing up. Matching his height.

"Then she's just as much trash as that dyke." Before I could defend my sister, Chase is turned around and punched dead in the face by Macy. The entire cafeteria erupts in excitement. They've only been hanging out for a few weeks now, and he's already starting with this nonsense.

"Don't you dare call her trash, dipshit! You're the only trash I see here," Macy yells. I can tell her rage stems from the amount of pain she's in from the detox... as well as her feelings for my sister. Addy and Gina are standing behind her, shocked.

Chase adjusts himself and lunges for her. "You bitch!" he yells as he charges for her. She's smaller and faster, darting out of his way and extending her leg to trip him. He collapses to the ground, and she stands over him. Macy grabs his shirt and begins sending blows to his face. I've never seen anybody so small beat up on someone so much bigger than them. We're all cheering as Chase gets his ass beat. Though we all know he deserves it for all of the bullying he has done at this school, we also know that we need to get Macy off of him. The group's words aren't stopping her, and no one wants to get in the middle of her rage. When I look over to my sister, she is still stunned. "Addy, do something!" I yell.

She comes out of her trance and approaches Macy. "Mays, that's enough!" she shouts, but Macy persists and kicks the football player in the stomach. She is blinded by the rage of three years of him picking and beating on her. I can tell that his nasty comment about Adelaide was the last straw. The crowd has formed a tight circle around her, cheering her on. The staff can also be heard attempting to breakthrough. Adelaide notices and doesn't want Macy to get into any more trouble. She rushes up to her and, from behind, wraps her arms around Macy's, pulling her back.

"Babe, that's enough. Leave him. He's not worth it," she whispers to her. She yanks her to the side and begins mumbling things into her ears, never letting Macy free of her clutches. Macy is nodding to her, and it appears that she is listening to her words. Sweat is pouring down her face, partly from the withdrawal, partly from her rage at Chase. As far as the crowd is concerned, it is the latter.

While the teachers concentrate on Chase, Dad locates Macy and Adelaide and drags them away. In terms of Chase's parents pressing charges, they are aware that doing so would jeopardize his football career due to the amount of dirt the students have on him. He has done things that have caused several of the students to contemplate suicide. The school board will not take any action because of the money his parents supply the school and the amount of publicity Chase's football accomplishments have brought Clearwater. It's awful how they'll turn a blind eye just to make a profit. My father and Principal Lewis have attempted to put a stop to it, but the board won't listen. Just as she did for Macy, all dad can do is be there for the students as a counselor, promising them better days. I hope she can get Macy off scotch-free because Chase deserved it.

I walk over to Miguel. "Really? You're just going to sit there and allow him to taunt us?"

"I'm sorry." He whispers.

"Whatever Miguel, I don't want to hear it, because if the school knew about us, you wouldn't just sit back and watch. Grow up."

He hangs his head low. "Are you still coming over after school though?"

"You're unbelievable Miguel. I can't believe I let myself fall for you." I shake my head and walk away from him. The bell rings, and I grab my things, heading to class.