Chapter Five

It's now Friday, and I'm just chilling on the couch reading a book. I might be popular, but I'm a nerd. Surprisingly people at my school don't hate it. They also don't know I read entirely too much. It's mainly because I don't read books in school unless it's given as an assignment, so they never see.

I did, however, notice Macy reading a lot over the last three years. She'd often pay more attention to the Twilight Saga than to her classwork. I never read the series until I saw her reading them, then I immediately went to the school's library and checked the first book out. It was really good... so I checked out the second one. I'm now at the part where Bella jumps on her motorcycle and takes off. She hears Edward's voice in her head as he confronts her for her stupid behavior before she falls and smashes her head. And she keeps doing it merely to conjure up images of him. I don't believe I'd ever be so willing to harm myself simply to see someone again... but maybe I haven't found the right person to want to die for yet.

"Adelaide!"

"Yes?" I yell back from the couch to my father on the top of the stairs.

"Are you leaving?" I look at the time on my phone and notice school will end in 30 minutes.

"Yes, leaving now."

"Okay. Love you, Princess."

"Love you too. Bye Mommy."

"Bye Sweet Pea. Drive safe." She yells from their room. I grab the car keys and head out the door.

Dad agreed to let me take her car to get Camden from school. I have my license, but I don't have my own car yet. I remember when I was learning to drive, Dad was a complete wreck. She would hold on to the side door handle for dear life with every stop or turn. It was hilarious to watch her. She isn't scared of much but my driving, yeah, she didn't think I would pass the test. But I did, just like I do every other test at school.

I drive to the high school, park, and wait on the hood of the car for the final bell to ring. I see my brother walking out with Layla and Mia, as well as Oliver, Uncle Roger's oldest son. He's only two years older than Camden. Roger isn't really our uncle, but our families are really close so we call him uncle.

I didn't know they were back. Every summer, Uncle Roger and Aunt Tracy take Oliver, Olivia, and Olly on a family vacation. They don't usually come back until the second week of school. I have always been jealous that they got to go on family vacations every year and miss the first week of school. Our family goes on vacations too, like to Texas to see Mamaw Sandy and Papaw George. Or we'll go on a summer vacation to a different country like last summer when we spent two weeks in Paris, but Dad would never let us miss school unless we were on our deathbed.

My parents spoil us so much that I doubt we'll ever be impressed by anything our future partners try to do. I guess with any relationship I get into, I'll have to be the one doing all the impressing, which is fine because I wouldn't mind spoiling someone. Dad loves spoiling Mom, and we can all see that she loves it. She also steals Dad's credit cards and takes all of us shopping without Dad knowing.

Layla, Mia, Camden, and Oliver walk up to me, smiling and laughing. "Hey, I texted Dad when class ended. I'm going over to Uncle Roger's for the weekend."

"What about your clothes?" I ask.

"Oliver is going to drive me to pick them up later." That's right, even Oliver has a car before me. He's younger than me and has a car. I nod, and they all say their goodbyes and walk to Oliver's car.

I sigh and look back to the school at all the students walking out, either getting on buses or getting into cars. A blonde in a hoodie catches my attention as she weaves her way through the crowd, and I notice she doesn't get into either a bus or a car. I see her walk down the sidewalk and continue right off the school grounds. I'm now curious because she told my dad that she had transportation after school every day. Many kids walk to and from school. So why lie?