Chapter Eight

Adelaide

After leaving Macy's house, I texted my dad to tell her I was staying at Gina's house for the weekend. I pull up to her house around 5:00 p.m. and let myself in because that's what best friends do.

"I'm here bitch!" I announce as I walk through the door. Gina's mom comes around the corner glaring at me. I covered my mouth, not realizing she was home. Most days, she stays later after school to make sure the place gets locked up.

"Sorry Mrs. Lewis," I say shyly.

"Mhmm, Gina is upstairs. Go ahead." I smile apologetically and run up the stairs.

I make it up the stairs and into Gina's room. "Dang, why didn't you tell me your mom was home? I just screamed bitch, through the damn foyer." She falls over, laughing in her bed.

"Sorry girl, I didn't know you would do that." I slap her arm and jump on her bed, taking the popcorn bowl out of her hand. "Fatty."

"Whatever," I say back, looking at her tv screen. She's watching Maleficent. "Ooo, I love this movie."

"Yeah... I know! You texted me and told me you had something to tell me... so spill" I roll my eyes and grab a handful of popcorn, shoving it in my mouth before talking.

"I followed Macy home." Her eyes grew big.

"You did what?" She yells.

"I saw her walking home. She lied to my dad about having a ride, so I followed her. Gi, it's weird her house is all run down and dirty."

"Well, not everyone has a perfect life like us Ads."

"Yeah yeah, I know." I sigh. "Dad said the same thing. They keep talking about getting her to graduation like her life depends on it though"

"Maybe it does," she says, leaving the conversation at that. Her words got me thinking. Why would Macy's life depend on her getting to graduation? I let the thought sink away and revert my attention back to the movie. My phone goes off, and I look at the notification. I cover my mouth, trying not to scream out in shock from the name on my phone.

"What?" Gina tries to pull my phone away. I show her the notification of Macy liking a post from 47 weeks ago. "Oh my goodness! Is she page stalking you?"

I'm grinning from ear to ear knowing that she even follows me. How did I not see that before? Well, now I feel bad... I opened my phone and went to Instagram, but just as fast as she liked it, she unliked it, which is worse.

"Seems like you have a secret admirer," Gina teases as I nudge her away.

"Whatever."

"Hey, are we going to that party tonight? I heard Kenneth invited you."

"Uhhh, sure, why not? Can't turn down a good party." I say nonchalantly.

"You know Brooklyn wants to get into your pants right? The whole school does." I just shrug and eat more popcorn. "Seriously Ads, what are you waiting for?... Better yet, who are you waiting for? You're a virgin, and you sitting around longing for Macy isn't working. Neither of you has the nerve to ask the other out."

"It's not like that. I just want to wait for the right time, and it hasn't come yet."

"Fine, whatever, I respect that. But can we please go? I need to get laid," she pouts.

I laugh at her directness. "Come on, let's get ready."

***

It's 10:30 p.m., and Gina and I are on our way out of the house. "Bye girls, be safe. Use protection baby."