Chapter Thirty

Macy

I get into the car, letting the smell of the new leather seats fill my nose. I look over at Addy, watching as she admires everything and grins. I can't help but smile at how stunning she is.

"So, do you like it?"

"I love it. You helped pick it out, didn't you?"

I nod my head. "Your mom and Rayden took me with them to get it."

"Well, it's perfect!"

"So are you," she blushes at my comment leaning in to kiss me. "Do you want to take it for a spin?" She cheeses and nods before starting the engine, backing up, and driving us away from the house. We were driving around for about 20 minutes, but I didn't mind because I spent the time admiring the sparkle in her eyes that shined so brightly.

She pulls up in front of the park we used to go to when we were kids. I haven't been to this playground in what feels like forever. Just like I held on to the stuffed penguin whenever I missed her, I would sometimes come here as well, swinging for hours, wishing she would just show up again. This couldn't be a more perfect place to give her her gift. It makes me pause, wondering what compelled her to come here.

She looks at me and grins. "What?" I ask.

"Do you remember this park?"

I glance out the windshield and nod my head. "I came here every week for a year after we stopped being friends." I look down at my hands, rubbing my fingers together nervously.

"I'm sorry Macy. We can leave." I grab her arms to stop her but don't say anything. She looks at me, questioning if I'm sure. My palms gradually descend to her hands as I entwine our fingers together and breathe deeply.

"I want to be here. There's no place I'd rather give you your last gift."

Her head tilts in confusion. "It's in the glove box." Looking down at the glove box, she reaches over me to get it. Falling back into her seat, she holds the wrapped small box in her palms.

"What is it?" She asks softly, unwrapping the box. My heart begins to beat fast as she's opening it. Her eyes widen as she pulls the gift out of the box.

"Is this the same..." I take it from her wanting to help her put it on.

"Yes. It's the same charm bracelet you gave me for Valentine's Day six years ago at this exact park."

"I thought it was lost?"

"It was. Your mom and Ray helped me go through my house to find it. I didn't think we would, but here it is. It took us a week. And it had to be cleaned and polished, but it's the same one."

"But why give it back to me?" She looks up at me, and I rub her cheek.

"Because... six years ago, Adelaide, we sat right there on the swings, you on the left, me on the right. I remember it like it was yesterday. You had the most beautiful smile and the shakiest hands when giving me the box. You were so nervous because... giving someone a gift on Valentine's Day had a special meaning." I take a deep breath, and she wipes away my fallen tears.

"That was the day that my life changed in more ways than one. All these years, I've been living in some of the worst possible circumstances. I was hiding in the shadows, terrified of even trying to find my way out. It was as if a darkness consumed all the light in my life. As much as I tried to convince myself that the light had gone permanently, I knew that wasn't the case. A slither of the brightness hesitantly shone through the cracks, giving me the faintest hope that I'd make it out alive. Adelaide, when you gave me this gift, my life changed for the better. At that very second, I knew I loved you because you were that spark that led me out of the dark, even if you weren't aware of it. I was so afraid to let that happiness into my life for fear of being abandoned again... but now I know... if I had just let that light into my life... if I hadn't pushed you away... I would have been able to heal faster, with you by my side than without."