Chapter Nineteen

Adelaide

We skipped Macy's final two classes of the day, and Dad drove us home after learning that Macy had another episode. When we get home, my dad goes to her room while I take Macy to mine because I don't want her to be alone. She hasn't said anything since the car ride home, and I'm not pressuring her to do so. I'm sure she's upset because I kissed Brooklyn.

Yes, I know to some extent, I am a coward when it comes to showing public affection towards her. I don't deny it nor do I deny that I have a tremendously large crush on her. It's just hard for me to display my true feelings for her in front of other people. I mean, it's not like I kissed Brooklyn on purpose, like I did at the party, she kissed me this time. I just didn't push her away. Honestly, I was more shocked than anything else.

Brooklyn and I aren't even close. She's had a crush on me since she moved here last year. Though I never reciprocated her feelings, I also never turned down any of her advances. We weren't even a thing so I don't know why she kissed me. Now both times we've kissed were to make Macy jealous.

I've never even been in a relationship, but my first and second kisses were nothing like I imagined. I wanted to save my first kiss, like my virginity, for someone special. Something that will live long in my memory. In a way, it was special, because Macy is special to me. I guess I at least got that part correct.

I assisted in removing the top layer of Macy's clothes because her tremors started back up the moment we stepped into the house. She never stops sweating or shaking for the most part. Sometimes I watch as she drifts off, staring into the abyss as if someone is in her presence. It's almost as if she is hallucinating but won't say anything. I loathe seeing her like this.

From my dresser, I handed her a pair of shorts and an oversized top. She glances at me first, knowing that her belongings are in the room next door, but I'm too lazy to walk all the way there. I help her change into her clean clothes before changing into panties and a long shirt for myself. I always sleep in my underwear. I'm not sure why. I despise wearing pants or socks under the blankets since they cause me to overheat quickly. I'd rather sleep in a freezing cold room than an immensely hot one. You can always continue to layer up, but once you strip down to your birthday suit, there's not much more you can do in intense heat.

I'm oddly comfortable sleeping next to her in only a shirt and panties. Macy and I used to have a lot of sleepovers with just the two of us when we were younger. We'd lie next to each other in our matching pajama tops and cartoon underwear, horseplaying and giggling all night until one of our parents came in and told us to stop making such a commotion and go to bed. Since she's moved in, every night, we've shared the same bed and assumed the same position as if no time had passed at all.

After we finish changing into something more comfortable, my body collapses into the bed, desperately in need of a nap after today's events. Macy comes to stand at my side of the bed instead of hers. We didn't necessarily assign definite sides, but for the last few days, she's slept on the left and me on the right. She looks at me with a straight face, not saying anything, standing there as if she's waiting for something, and I look back at her confused.

Her face saddens, and I think for a second, wondering what she might be asking for. A light bulb goes off in my head, and I give her a soft smile before scooting to the center of the bed to give her my side. I lift the blanket and pat the vacant spot next to me. Instead of lying on the actual mattress, she crawls over to me and lays her whole body on top of mine.

The weight of her body soothes me. I pull the covers back over our heads and run my fingers through her long blonde hair. She sighs and begins twirling a loose string on my shirt.