Chapter Nine

I stayed the rest of the weekend with Gina. We didn't do much but go to the mall with my loaded credit card from this month's allowance and eat ice cream at Lulu's. After 17 years of my parents taking me there, it's still booming with business. Mom taught me to dip my fries in the ice cream, and now I love it. Dad thinks it gross, and so does Gina.

I couldn't go longer than a few minutes, the whole weekend, without thinking about what had happened at the party. Does Macy always do drugs? It's normal to see teenagers drink and try a cigarette or two; I know of a few who even dabbled with more hardcore drugs, but they never got addicted. The way she spoke about needing them last night made me believe she was. But she wants no help from me. I just want to know why? What did I ever do to her?

Never mind. I don't think I should be asking myself that. Technically I dropped her as a friend. For three years, I watched her across the hall with her head hanging low and her hoodie drawn. She didn't speak to anyone, and no one bothered to try and talk to her. It never seemed to phase her, but I could be wrong. Some people are just loners and like to be outside the crowd. I'm the opposite. I know if no one talked to me, I would be extremely bothered. Which is why I never spoke to her... I was afraid of losing all my friends. I mean, I wouldn't lose my family, and I know for sure I wouldn't lose Gina. She has actually been encouraging me to talk to her for what feels like forever.

"Addy!" Camden yells from behind me and kicks the back of the passenger seat. I looked up from fidgeting with a string on my jeans and didn't notice we had already made it to school.

"Boy! Kick my damn seat one more time." Dad glares at him. I was always a mommy's girl, and Camden is a daddy's boy. He's always been. He wants to follow in Dad's footsteps at the agency and listens to every word she says.

On the other hand, I can be a rebel and get away with more because Mommy is on my side. Rayden, well, she has both my parents wrapped around her little finger. The youngest always gets away with things the oldest wouldn't have. She bats those long eyelashes, and her wish is their command.

"Sorry," Camden whispers, causing me to chuckle.

"Forgiven. Here's lunch money. I'll see you later. Love you."

"Love you too," Cam yells and shuts the back door.

"Talk," Dad says to me once my brother is out of ears range.

I sigh and look out the window noticing Macy walking towards the school entrance. She has her grey hoodie drawn as usual, with her hands in her pocket. Her eyes meet mine before she rolls them and walks inside the school.

I groan and lean back in my seat. "What's wrong, Princess?"

"Why did you have to make me walk with her?"

"You know why!"

"To keep the bullies from messing with her. This won't work, Dad."

"Why not?"

"Because they aren't my dogs or something, I can't just call them off. One punch in the face isn't going to stop Chase. He lives for the thrill of taunting others. And because of that, they will continue to mess with her."

"It's only been a few days; give it time. Just stay by her side, and eventually, it will stop."

"Or... they'll start to come after me instead, for hanging out with her." I snatch my lunch money off the dashboard and grab my backpack before leaving the car and conversation. I was frustrated that she even suggested this as a solution, and I was even more pissed knowing that Macy was on drugs. I wanted to tell my parents, but I didn't want her to get into trouble. I just wanted to help her, but she won't accept it. I don't blame her.