Chapter Twenty

Elliot

"Rayden!" I yell as I put the biscuits in the oven for breakfast. I hear little feet racing down the stairs and through the halls. "Walk, baby!" She slows down to avoid slipping, which has happened more times than I could count.

She reaches the kitchen, and I wipe my hands on a dishcloth looking down at the cutest grin. "Yes, mommy?"

"Are you ready for school?" She nods her head vigorously. She enjoys going to school since she gets to see Olivia, Roger's daughter. The kids refer to Roger and Tracy as their aunt and uncle, but they aren't blood-related; we're all just incredibly close. Because Olivia tested into gifted classes last year, Ray and Liv are in the same grade but have different teachers. Their classrooms are linked by a door though, so they get to see each other during playtime and nap time. They are a year apart and are practically joined at the hips. If Rayden doesn't get to spend every waking moment with Olivia, they will have a meltdown. Those two haven't gone a single day without seeing each other since Ray was born.

I kneel to her height and tie one of her shoelaces that came undone. "Double knot baby, remember?"

"Oh shoot." She smacks her forehead, and I chuckle at her cuteness. "Okay Mamas, give me kisses." She innocently kisses my lips and hugs me. "Go tell Daddy you're ready to go."

"Okay, I love you!" She waves and runs away back down the hall and up the stairs.

"Love you too, Pumpkin."

I return to preparing breakfast for Alexandria to carry with her. Ray has to be at school early today for the gifted program testing. Her school begins testing students at the age of five, and if their scores fall short of the passing mark, they are evaluated again after a year.

"You're cheating Addy!" I hear Macy playfully shout from the living room. I seal my wife's Tupperware of food and walk around the corner to see what they're doing this early. Both girls are lying on their stomachs on the carpet with a Monopoly board in between them. I cross my arms and lean against the wall, watching them from a distance.

It's been three weeks since she came to live with us. I wasn't too fond of the idea at first, but Macy is a good kid. She just hasn't had the proper parental guidance. She was introduced to drugs really young, and it should have never happened. When I asked Addy if they were dating, she refused to answer, but the goofy grin on her face said it all.

"Adelaide, I'm going to quit if you don't stop cheating."

"I'm not!" I chuckle at their bickering. They argue 24/7 with the most sarcastic comments back and forth. Macy looks back at me, and I watch as my daughter sneakily moves her game piece forward. I raise my brow and point at the board to tattle on her. Macy turns around and tosses her hands in the air. She smacks her lips and shifts to a sitting position.

"See!"

"What? I didn't do anything."

"The dice says to move five spaces you were just on Ventnor Avenue. You shouldn't be on the community chest." She grabs her piece and moves it back one. "You landed here on North Carolina Avenue. Which is my property, so pay up."

Adelaide pokes her bottom lip out and gives her girlfriend puppy dog eyes. "But I don't have enough."

Macy shakes her head and sticks her hand out. "Sucks for you. Pay me my money." Our daughter starts counting her fake colorful cash as my wife comes to stand next to me to watch. "If you don't have enough, you have to give me a property."

"But I worked hard for those." She fake cries and Macy shakes her head, pointing to her open palm. "Um... could I offer something else in exchange?" She sits up and crawls towards her girlfriend, pushing the game board out of her path. Reaching Macy, she takes a seat in her lap with a cheesy smile.