Chapter Eighteen

Macy

Fourth period ends, and as I'm walking out of class, I see Gina and Addy walking towards me so that we can walk to lunch. As we proceed to the cafeteria, someone rushes up behind us and shoves me to the ground, knocking all of my books and papers out of my hands.

I hear an irritating squeaky voice coming from behind us. "Hey trash, still following my girl around like a lost puppy I see," Brooklyn says to me.

As I'm collecting my things off the floor, I notice that Adelaide has been backed into the lockers and Brooklyn's lips are smothering hers. Addy's eyes widen, but she does nothing to push her away once she realizes what's going on. She just stands there with her lips agape, letting Brooklyn suck her face off. The feelings of anger and sadness flow through me, and I turn away to continue picking up my books.

I watch as Gina pulls her off of Adelaide. "What the hell do you think you're doing Brook?"

She wipes her lips with a grin, "Just trying to show Addypoo what a good time looks like." Her eyes shift to me, "something this trash can never do."

I want to rip her head off, but instead of getting into trouble, I fix my bag strap and walk away to the nearest restroom. When I enter, I find two girls washing their hands and gawking at themselves in the mirror.

"Get out!" They look at me startled but don't move. "Now!" I yell even louder and hurl my books at them. They rush out the door just as Adelaide walks in. She turns to the knob and locks it behind her. As the temptation to get high and escape my feelings intensifies, I pace back and forth in front of the mirrors. I grab my backpack, slam it on top of the sink, and begin searching through it. My mouth is dry, and it becomes harder to breathe correctly. My palms begin to sweat, and I wipe them on my pants before ripping my hoodie off my body.

"What are you looking for?"

"None of your business. Get out!"

"No! I'm not going anywhere."

I shove my book bag to the floor, kicking it and gripping a fist full of my hair, "I said... get... the hell... out Adelaide!"

"No!"

"Yes!" I scream in her face, and she balls her fist up.

"Stop yelling at me!"

"I'm not yelling at you!"

"Yes, you are!" We stare intensely at one another before I break eye contact and shake my head.

"I just need to find my pills." I wipe my nose and grab my bag once more, slamming it against the counter. "I need them, okay? I need them right now. Anything will work. Something that will ease this pain." A sharp pain surges within my chest, and I rub my fist against it, gasping for air.

"They aren't in there." She steps in front of me, trying to separate me from the bag. "Macy, look at me." I won't. I can't. All I can think about is Brooklyn's lips on hers for a second time. The same lips that kissed mine at the Labor Day party. The same ones I stare at before falling asleep each night and wake up to each morning. The same lips that refuse to touch mine once more for fear of judgment from those around her. "Mays, look at me, please."

My attention is drawn into focus by her desperate pleading. My eyes travel to hers, but when they meet, I become enraged again and step back from her. "Don't Adelaide. Just, don't."

"What?" She asks, confused, as she advances towards me, grabbing my arm and pulling me back to her. I swat her hands away and back away even further. Her touch is as hot as fire on my flesh. My frustration with her is at an all-time high. How could she have let that slime ball kiss her not once but twice? She attempts to reach for me once more.