Chapter Ten

After what happened on Monday, I stopped walking with Macy. I didn't glance her way or even waste another second thinking about her. Glad to know that's what she thinks about me. She is a lost cause, and I begin to question why I ever liked her in the first place.

Tuesday came, and she sat next to me in the first period. We had a lab to do together, and basically, we did what was supposed to be a team lab, individually. I could feel her eyes on me, but I never returned the glance. Wednesday and Thursday had the same routine. I uttered maybe a total of three words to her for the rest of the week.

By Friday, she ceased to appear in any of her classes. My parents and Gina continued to ask me what happened between us, but there was no point in explaining. I was done with Macy Tanner. The crush I had for six years had magically vanished.

My emotions didn't stop me from having a good time though. I lined my eyes and blushed my cheek before putting on a shimmering red mini dress and heading to a labor day hotel party. Gi and I are riding in her car in silence with only the radio on.

"So... are we going to talk about this Macy situation... or are you going to continue to keep me in the dark?" She says, turning the music lower.

"Nothing is in the dark. Quite frankly, everything has come to light... so there isn't anything to talk about."

"Okay. I guess." She says, turning right at the light. "Sugarplum, you know I love you right?"

I smile and poke her deep dimple. "Love you too."

She parks in front of the hotel and shuts off the engine. "Okay well, let's put whatever this funky mood is behind us and have a great night."

"Yup. Already in the past." I grin and clap my hands in excitement. We head up to the penthouse of the hotel. When the door opens, we see tons of decorations around the place. Twirling streamers hang from the ceiling. It's like a person full of patriotism threw up all over the place, coating the walls full of red, white, and blue. Gina smirks at me, and I do the same, following her in.

The night goes smoothly as we play beer pong and dance under strobe lights. I'm surprised nobody has called the cops for how loud the music is. Brooklyn weaseled her way to me on the dance floor and began to sway against me. At this point, my mind is only focused on having a good time and forgetting the words said to me Monday morning. I turn around and wrap my arms around Brook's shoulders, matching her rhythm.

"I thought I'd never see the day Adelaide Reed shared a dance with me." I thought the same thing.

"Well, the day is here, so enjoy it while it lasts."

She giggles, and for some reason, the annoying sound that comes out of her mouth irritates me. I continue to dance with her until she stops and says she's hungry. I let her go and stood there for a minute, searching the crowd for Gina. I don't find my best friend, but my eyes do land on someone else I haven't laid eyes on in the past week.

Her big brown eyes stare back at me as the strobe lights illuminate each dark freckle along her nose. I blink a few times, and she turns away from me, sipping from the beer bottle in hand. She stands in front of the drinks table, and all of a sudden, I become thirsty. My feet began to drift her way no matter how much my mind told them to stop and turn back around. Without realizing I am now by her side, staring at the liquor on the table. I swallow, and my throat becomes dry again, so I hurry to crack a can open and down it swiftly.

"How's it going, Pillow Princess?" She asks, fracturing the speechlessness between us.

I sigh deeply, allowing the nickname to get to me once again.