Chapter Twenty-Three

Adelaide

I've been stuck to Macy's side since Tuesday's incident, not wanting it to happen again. Chase hasn't come near us since. The students now treat Macy differently. They say hi to her and have tried to hold conversations with her. Instead of being the scum, as they say, she's now at the top of the food chain. Apparently, more than half of the students despised Chase's guts for tormenting them and were relieved when she kicked his ass. Popularity had blinded me to the real issue at this school. I could have made a difference a long time ago, but I was terrified of what others would think of me.

Macy isn't thrilled with the extra attention she's now getting. She continues to keep to herself. She is more concerned with not revealing how much she is suffering due to the withdrawal. I understand that school might be a source of additional stress for her, but she is determined to graduate and reduce her chances of remaining an addict forever. She has a strong support system, including me, and I hope it is enough to keep her going. You'd think that after not using narcotics for about a month, her withdrawal would be complete, but that's not the case. Physical withdrawal lasts three to five days on average, but emotional withdrawal might last much longer. Some symptoms like depression, anxiety, and insomnia, can continue for several months. The desire to give the substance to your body may go dormant or fade, but triggers may cause it to reappear.

The school body's newfound affection for Macy should make me feel better about the upkeep of my popularity, but to be honest, I'm beginning to lose interest. Brooklyn noticed this and is attempting to take over my popularity. This is my final year at Clearwater High, and the previous three years have been a complete sham. As far as I'm concerned, she can have everything. I just hope she realizes that fame doesn't mean anything if it means losing significant people and things in your life. It took me a while to see that.

I just wanted to be with Macy, regardless of how they perceived her. She was everything to me. I sometimes feel like I don't deserve to be with her after mistreating her for three years in a row. Never being there for her. Being part of the reason she descended into the abyss of addiction.

I promised myself I'd make amends to her for everything and that I would spend the rest of my life doing so.

"Where are we going?" Macy asks while following closely behind me. I stop in front of the closed gym doors.

"The volleyball team has practice today, and we have a game after school tomorrow," I say, shrugging with a smile. She looks back at the doors and sucks her teeth.

"I have to stay, don't I?"

"You don't have to... I can call my mom to come and get you early."

Her eyes stay on the door, and she can see Brooklyn through the glass window doing set drills. "Mays... I want you here. You don't have to be anywhere near the team."

She nods her head and shifts her bag strap on her shoulder. "Okay." I grin and kiss her cheek before turning around and walking into the gym. I'm late, which I never am, so hopefully, Coach doesn't get on my case about it.

"Ooh, someone's late to practice before game day," Brooklyn yells out loud. I'm not sure why she's trying to get into my pants one second, and then, once it's apparent that I don't like her and am interested in someone else, I'm suddenly her enemy.

"Ms. Reed, hurry and get dressed," Coach yells from the sideline.

"You got it." I turn to Macy. "We are about to head outside to the sand court. You can sit anywhere in the bleachers out there. Practice is only for an hour." She sighs and walks away to the outside bleachers. I can see her from here and watch as she picks a spot at the top and pulls her phone out before pulling homework from her backpack.