Chapter Four

Once I got out of the shower, I checked my phone and saw it would be scorching outside today. I decided on high-waisted white and grey denim shorts with a black tube top and a matching denim jacket. I opted to wear tennis shoes instead of heels today because we have volleyball practice, and I don't want my feet to be sore. Our Beach Volleyball team has won nationals three times in a row. Call it luck if you want, but it's no coincidence because I'm the reason why.

I braid my hair so that it will fall down my left shoulder and begin to put on makeup. I stop for a second to admire myself. My smooth skin is a perfect complexion, with no scarring. My nose is a little pointier than I like, and my bottom lip is slightly bigger than my top. I also have my two ear piercings that I had to beg my parents for.

There is a knock on my door, and I give a faint come in. Rayden comes in with the biggest smile. "Sissy, did I leave Moo Moo in here?"

I look towards my bed where she slept last night and point to her blanket with a stuffed cow connected. She's had that blanket since she was a baby and is extremely attached. "Thank you."

She grabs the blanket, and before walking out, she turns back to look at me. "Daddy's going to make you change."

"Na ah"

"Yes, huh." She says, running out of my room.

I roll my eyes, glance at myself one more time, and head downstairs behind her. When I reach the kitchen, both my parents look my way.

"Change," is all dad says pointing me back up the stairs.

"Aww come on! It's cute!"

"Yeah babe it's cute." Mom defends.

"It's breaking the dress code. I let Monday slide, but not today. Go change."

"Told you!" Ray screams from the table. I look at mom for help and she shrugs.

"Sorry Sweet Pea. I can't. Your father is right. The shorts are too short for the dress code."

"Ugh fine" I stomp on every step on the way up to my room. Mom usually defends me, and I'm allowed to wear these shorts outside of school. But the stupid dress code makes it seem like me showing my legs is going to distract someone from getting an education.

Dad told Mom on Monday night about what happened at school, and Mom was pissed at what Chase said but gave me a high five for my right hook. Dad just shook her head at Mommy's approval, but she should have known that was going to happen. I'm her Sweet Pea, her firstborn. Of course, she'd side with me.

When I first met Elliot at two years old, I was immediately attached to her. I remember little things from when I was younger, like how I would share my food with her and no one else. How I brought her into Dad and I's pinky promise pact. I even remember the day Camden was born and Mommy being taken. I was young, but the traumatic memory is stuck in my head.

Ever since that day, I've been scared to lose her, so I attached myself to her even more. We were two peas in a pod, and Mamaw says that's why she gave me that nickname. Regardless of Elliot not being biologically related to me, she will always be my mother. And I will always thank her for choosing Daddy and me to be her family and loving us when dad felt no one else could.

I change into a red plaid high-waisted skirt and white crop top, still choosing to wear my white converse.

After breakfast Dad takes me and Cam to school while Mom takes Rayden again. It's quite the whole drive except for the shitty choice of music my brother chose. He lights up when he sees his friend Miguel, who I know is more than a friend to him but I don't say anything. It's not my place to say anything until he's ready. He's not ready to come out to our parents and neither is Miguel. I mean what even is coming out. Why do we have to inform people about liking who we like? Why is it anyone else's business?