Chapter Seventeen

It's late Sunday night, and Macy asked to sleep with me again. I'm actually not bothered by it. Despite having the smartest mouth and the snarkiest comments, I enjoy having her close. Mom said it was fine because she understood how difficult withdrawal would be for her, and Dad persuaded her that this is how I could be there for Macy. It didn't take much convincing though, because I'm a mommy's girl. We're not going to do anything anyways. I like Macy, but the argument we had still bothered me. I'm also angry with myself for not noticing what was going on sooner or for knowing she was using drugs and failing to prevent her from getting worse because of a silly fight.

Despite everything that has occurred between us over the last three years, here we are, still sharing the same bed as if nothing ever happened.

I'm in my usual comfortable satin nightshirt and scarlet panties while she's dressed in black sleep shorts and a grey hoodie. We slept on opposite sides for the majority of the night. That is until I had to wake her up because her nose was running and she was sweating profusely.

After I get her to open her eyes, I rush to get a tissue and a cool, damp rag. Her teeth begin to chatter though it's 70 degrees in my room, and her body is overheating again. As I give her the toilet paper roll, her shaking worsens, and she can't grip it firmly. I gently raised her head off the bed so I could clean her nose. Lifting her up slightly and crawling on the bed behind her, I lean my back against the headboard, allowing me to bring her up against my chest.

"Let's take this off," I say, grabbing her hoodie and pulling it over her head.

"Are you trying t-to get me na-naked Adelaide?" She chuckles between her shakes, and it's the first time since breakfast I've seen her smile.

Our Sunday was mostly spent relaxing. After our food war and other breakfast shenanigans, she sat and watched tv for the rest of the day. I could tell she was in pain from all the body aches and discomfort. I stayed nestled up on the recliner on the opposite side of the room, wrapped in a blanket, and watched her as she immersed herself in the screen. I left her alone because I didn't want to annoy her. Even though I knew she might lash out at me for the tiniest thing when her symptoms worsen like this, I still didn't want her to be alone.

Once I've removed the fabric from her body, I shake my head at her question. "No loser. I'm not trying to get you naked. I just need your fever to break."

"Oh damn. We- well, I was go-go-going to let you. But since it's n-n-not what you want." She jokes, shivering in my arms.

"I didn't say I didn't want to..." I trail off, blushing from falling into her trap.

"Mmmm, I kn-know you do," she smirks. I push her off of me and her angelic laugh that I missed so much, comes to life. "Hey now! I'm currently go-going through some shit, ca-can't you see? Don't push me away."

Even though I know she didn't mean the last sentence in the way I took it, the comment still saddens me, knowing that I pushed her away our freshman year. Drawing her closer, I feel her sweat-drenched back against my chest. I wrap my arms around her quivering body as she leans in even more.

Pressing my lips against the back of her damp messy blonde hair, I whisper to her, "I won't."

***

We finished another night of her detox, and I was proud of her for pushing through the misery. When we woke up, we took separate showers, and then walked downstairs for breakfast together after getting dressed. The entire family gathered downstairs, preparing for their Monday morning. Rayden races up to me and hugs my legs as we near the foot of the stairs.

"Morning Sissy"

"Morning Addy," she grins, then turns her attention to Macy. She detaches from my legs and takes hold of hers. Macy winces in discomfort for a second, and I watch as her face relaxes from my sister's touch.