Chapter Thirty-One

Adelaide

Four months later

It's the last week of April and my birthday is tomorrow. Right now, we are at our National Championship game for beach volleyball. Both teams are at 14-14, and we need two more points to win. I look to the stands to see my family and friends cheering us on.

As I stare at Macy, sweat drips down my brow. She offers me a warm smile and two thumbs up. I got to hand it to her, she hasn't missed a single one of my games. I've been thrilled to show her off to everyone. I was no longer concerned about what others thought of me. They were going to witness how much I adored her, with no shame from me.

It's my turn to serve, and I'm standing in the line getting prepared. I toss the ball up in the air and smack it to the other side. The stands grow quiet as the team hits it back instantly. My partner bumps the ball to me. I set it, and she spikes it to the other side. Unfortunately, the other team was able to hit the ball back.

The ball goes back and forth before we block their spike, sending it to the sand on their side. The crowd goes wild for our team winning the rally, but we have one more point to go. The ball is passed back to me, and I put my head down to concentrate.

"You got this baby" I hear Macy's voice in the stands just as the crowd got quiet.

I take a deep breath, toss the ball into the air, and my open palm makes contact with it, sending it over the net. I get into place, centering my stance, knees apart, and I'm ready for the ball to come back.

The other team sends it back over the net, and I bump it, my partner sets it, and I run to send a spiraling spike across the net to the back corner hitting right on the line.

"It's in," the referee says, and the rest of our team in the stands erupt in cheers. We ran into a circle hugging each other, excited that we won all the championships of our high school years.

Loved ones in the stands start running to the sand court, my parents come and hug me, congratulating me. Macy comes up to me next, and I pull her into a kiss in front of everyone. The whole team starts clapping and cheering, including Brooklyn.

We smile onto each other's lips as the coach brings the giant trophy to us. The volleyball team gets into a half-circle with it, and we take a bunch of pictures. Honestly, this was the best senior yearI could've asked for. I know we still have to walk across the stage, and the year didn't start off too great, but being able to rekindle my relationship with Macy, made this year one of a kind.

My family starts to leave to get in their cars. We're all going to meet at the restaurant to celebrate the win and my birthday. Tonight, Macy and I are getting a hotel so we can spend tomorrow together, alone. Usually, I have my birthday with Layla, Mia, and Camden, but since I'm turning 18, I want to have it alone this year.

***

We make it to the steak house, and all 20 of us get a party room together. The waiter takes all our drink and food orders, and the chatter is at an all time high. I look over to Dad next to me, and she has a tear in her eye. "Oh come on now, Dad, don't do that!" I say, nudging her.

"But Princess, you're growing up so fast. Make it stop," she says, pulling me into her.

"I'm just going to college next. I will still see you and Mom all the time."

"I know, but still, it feels like just yesterday you were still three years old. Promise me you'll call your daddy every day?" She sticks her pinky in the air.

I grin at our old way of a pact. "Promise," I say, sealing our agreement. She pulls me in to kiss my forehead.

"I love you, Adelaide. You've made me a proud parent."

"I love you too Daddy."

We revert our attention to the table as the waiter serves everybody their dinner. As I'm eating, Macy sticks her fork in my broccoli and steals apiece. I glare at her. "You're lucky I love you."

"I know," she smiles.

"Why do you have to steal my food though?"

"Yours just looks better."

"Mays, we have the same thing." She shrugs her shoulders. "I'll make it up to you tonight." Her eyebrows do that funny wiggly thing, and I chuckle.

"Oh, I know."

After everyone finishes eating, a birthday cake is brought out, and everyone sings "Happy Birthday." I'm leaning into Macy with my head on her shoulder, smiling at them.

"Happy birthday to you..."

"You smell like a zoo!" Camden blurts out, and everyone stops singing and turns to him. "You look like a monkey! And you smell like one too."

"Boy, what the hell is wrong with you?" Dad says, smacking the back of his head.

"Ow! Sorry, I just had to," he says, rubbing the back on his head. They start the song over again, and I blow the candles out. Mom starts cutting the cake and handing out pieces.

"I want a big one," I hear Macy say, and Mom cuts a huge piece and hands it to her.

"Damn, Macy, aren't you getting some cake tonight? Leave this one for us," my eyes grow big. Why is it that sex talk always comes up at family functions?

"Gina!" I say, shoving her.

"What? Don't act all innocent now! We all know you're not anymore."

"Whatever." I smack her arms.

I can't wait until Macy and I get to the hotel tonight. We haven't had much time for ourselves lately, because of volleyball practice and finals. We also haven't talked about college yet. The summer semester at the university Mom works at starts the first week of June, and I still have no idea where Macy is planning to go.

I'd want her to move into my new condo with me in a few weeks, but I haven't asked her yet, and if she's planning to attend another institution, I don't want to put any pressure on her. She's gone through so much to make good grades and not get into too much trouble. All to qualify for free tuition from being adopted out of the system. It was hers and my dad's goal, and she did it. Macy has been clean from drugs for six months and has finally come to terms with her mother not being here anymore. I hope she remains close for university because I don't want to be apart from her again.