CHAPTER 14

"Let's go to the other side of the river. The forest cover is dense and there are more amount of wild animals as compared to this side" one of his friends suggested. The others immediately agreed, tired about the fact that even after an hour into their hunting expedition, they had not spotted a single wild animal, let alone catch one. 

Seokjung agreed too, having given himself sometime to enjoy with his friends. It had been a long time since he had stepped out for a good hunt. Even though his friends urged him to join the annual hunting fest, he had persistently declined. 

He did not usually go hunting despite possessing enough skills to hunt a deer and identifying animals by their calls. Seokjung treated hunting as a stress reliever rather than as a competition. And he had really needed a get away from all that was going on in his life at the moment. The Seokjin-Namjoon incident had really stressed him and for once, he wanted to enjoy himself and not worry about other things.

He had spent a lot of time keeping an eye on Namjoon and much to his disappointment, he hadn't found a single valid point to reject that alpha. The knight had all the qualities that his brother liked in an alpha so no wonder Seokjin was completely smitten by him. He was strong, respectful, responsible and kind. He just had a bad temper but he managed to control it most of the times so that wouldn't be useful too...

Just the day before he had witnessed the alpha's leadership skills while organizing a batch of soldiers leaving for the borders and even though Seokjung wouldn't admit it, he was impressed. He seemed so calm and focused. And it definitely looked like he had everything under control. He hadn't given up yet. There must surely be a quality in Namjoon which he could use to keep him away from Seokjin and convince him that the alpha is not the one for him.     

The platoon then crossed the river, moving deeper into the woods. The day was a pleasent one, gentle breeze blowing. The forest was silent, except for the rustle of the leaves and the occasional sounds made by animals. Horses treaded silently through the small trail, their owners guiding them towards the calls of animals. 

"What do you plan on hunting today Seokjung?" Minho asked playfully, "A rabbit?". The others snickered at the taunt causing him to raise an eyebrow. "A rabbit would be better for armatures like you Minho. Experienced hunters like me hunt deer which of course is not what you capable of" he said, smiling. "Don't look so smug. Deer are fragile creatures, it doesn't make you any better than me. Hunt a boar and only then I will accept that your skills are superior to mine"

"But none of us have hunted a boar before" another countered. "I've heard it's not easy to bring them down". "Stop being so afraid will you?" Minho chided. Turning towards Seokjung he said, "Can you do this Seokjung? Or are you going to chicken out at the last moment?"

"Of course I can! Watch me", Seokjung muttered facing forward.

Another few minutes of walking and they here a rustle in the bushes nearby. Everyone immediately halted they horses and listened intently. Seokjung carefully notched an arrow and waited for movement. Soon it became clear that the animal was trying to get away by sneaking in the opposite direction. A small rustle here and there could be heard. Seokjung pulled back and followed its movements. 

Just then baby deer jumped out of the bushes and made a run for its life. But alas! It was no match for Seokjung and the arrow hit its neck the moment it was released. The group erupted in loud cheers, coming forward, patting Seokjung on his back and praising his skills. Minho grumbled in the background. "A deer can be hunted by anyone" he huffed. "I will hunt a boar too" Seokjung replied with a laugh.

After a good two hours the group decided to head back. They had plenty of kill with them to take home. The most inexperienced of them having hunted a rabbit each, except Jihan (he killed a squirrel). Along with Seokjung, two of his friends also hunted deer. They did look for boars but were not much fruitful in their search.