CHAPTER 34

It was way too early for any human to be awake at the moment. It sky was still dark, no sign of the rising sun yet. The Song Kingdom's military base was teeming with life, metal sounds along with the sound of logs being chopped. It had been three months since the war began, and it showed no signs of slowing down yet. 

It was clear that the Song Kingdom was nearing victory. Despite that, the King of Jeon Kingdome refused to step back, opting to fight till the last. Both sides had lost heavily with respect to resources as well as human life. The soldiers did not chat and laugh anymore, usually too exhausted by the all day fighting or wanting to conserve their energy till the next day. 

Namjoon quietly sat on his bed, bandaging his wounds. There were marks all over his chest and arms, lips chapped and skin rough. Hoseok stood behind, giving him a neck massage, relieving some of the stress on his mind. 

After Pil Do's death, Namjoon had been made the head of the strategic committee and it was taking a huge toll on his mind and body. Hoseok saw his friend rest the least, always up and about before anyone else even after he fought just like them. 

Thankfully, the soldiers showed no signs of being weighed down by the horrors of war yet, even the young freshly out of training ones. More medics had arrived to the camp with resources to provide for the injured soldiers. Warm breakfast had been served to them early morning after which they were some time to prepare themselves and then put on their armors. 

Namjoon usually utilized this time to either take a look at his injuries or sharpen his sword. Practice was out of question since he did not want to waste any energy that he had gathered while resting. 

"Feeling better"? Hoseok asked as his hands left his shoulders, smiling when the other lightly hummed, stretching and twisting his body. "Let's go?" Namjoon asked, sheathing his sword smiling at the grin on his friend's face. 

"How long do you think this will go on?" Hoseok asked as they exited the chamber, reviewing the preparations one last time. "I honestly do not know Hobi. All we can hope is that they do something to stop this soon. We have lost too many of our gems till now" he mumbled. 

The horn sounded in the distance, the soldiers pausing till it was over before hurriedly packing their materials. Over the horizon, the rising sun peaked from the clouds to witness mankind killing it's own in the name of peace. Namjoon wondered how many wars did he witness and in what parts of the worlds. Mother nature must think of them as utter fools to bring destruction to their own. 

He reached for his armor that he had thankfully been able to wash yesterday in the river nearby. Now, albite some dents in it, there was no blood of his enemies, making it look almost brand new. Carefully sheathing the sword, he attached it to his hip, where it belonged and started towards the place where his companion rested. 

Reaching the makeshift stables, he walked to his companion in the battle. The brown horse neighed loudly on watching his master come closer and it made Namjoon smile how strong his companion was after a good night's rest. 

The animal nuzzled into his palm as he patted it's head, neighing softly. "Has my friend been fed well?" he asked, a tired smile gracing his lips in return to bright one that the stable boy gave him. Another horn sounded in the distance prompting a sigh out of him. "Let's go young man. We have a long day ahead. Please stay by my side always, like you have done till now" he mumbled, stroking the animal's body before hiking himself up and grabbing the reins. 

XXX

Prince Hanuel stepped on the pedestal, watching the large army that had gathered in front of him. He felt responsible, for their lives, the well being of their families and the fate of the Kingdom that he was rule when he returned.