CHAPTER 32

The everyday meeting with the ministers was underway when the hall doors opened with a bang, an exhausted and breathless messenger entering with two guards in tow who were trying to restrain him. He fell to his feet as he neared the throne, "Messenger from Jeon Kingdom borders reporting with grave news sir. I request you to attend to it immediately and send an order, we are running out of time", he said between huffs.

The old king frowned, raising his palm to stop the two guards from dragging him outside. "Speak". The messenger bowed deeply before opening the scroll and began in a loud clear voice..

Hail the King of Song Kingdom and may the heaven bestow strength and power to out King! Commander Pil Do reporting to his highness.

A thunderstorm is approaching after the traitor was caught. New information from them has gone from bad to worse. We found out that the rebel attacks were just a ploy to distract us from the main problem. Jeon Kingdom is preparing for war and we can expect the attack as soon as the winter gives way to spring. Our spies have reported that their are currently in the midst of mobilizing their forces conforming our suspicion.

Requesting order for next course of action and more men and supplies to back us up.

The courtroom was silent on hearing the report. The dreaded moment had come and they were not ready for it yet. The messenger produced the scroll with the Jeon seal that was found with Minsung and placed it on the King's hands. 

The old man read it carefully before tossing it away in disappointment. "It seems to me that a war is inevitable now. I have looked for ways to prevent this but unfortunately, all the doors have closed on me". The ministers on both sides nodded in agreement at the statement. 

"Prepare for war. When those bastards attack us thinking that they will take us by surprise, we return back their favor. Rest for now and leave at the crack of dawn tomorrow", the King said, looking at the messenger who bowed and retreated.

Hanuel who sat next to his father stood up an knelt at his feet. "Let me take charger your highness. I promise to return with victory in my fist", he said. The King smiled at his only child and patted his head, "You have my blessings". And with that the heir to the throne left the hall, his head held high.

XXX

Namjoon couldn't bring himself to visit Jihyo the next day. She was a friend who had broken his trust and the knight blamed himself for not even thinking about the possibility of her being a spy before it was too late. Both the prisoners hadn't shared much information when interrogated by Hoseok but it was clear now that the Jeon Kingdom was preparing for war.

"We should start with the preparations", Pil Do concluded in their meeting. "But there has been no royal order about it yet. We cannot go against the royal order", Minho argued. "We do not know when or how they will strike. It's for the best that we remain prepared whenever the attack comes", Namjoon answered. "I agree with Namjoon, they might take us surprise at any time, let's set up our defenses with what we have", Hoseok chimed in. Since the majority opinion was clear, Minho stepped back.

XXX

Swords clashed with lightening speed as the two warriors swiftly circled each other and attacked. Beads of sweat rolled down their temples, dripping onto the ground from their chins, panting as their stepped ahead. 

"Why are you holding back? It is because I am the prince or do you think that I am not a worthy opponent?", the prince yelled. Taehyung steadied himself, "It's not like that your highness", he heaved. But the Hwarang knew what he said wasn't true. He was fighting the prince of the kingdom for god's sake, the only heir to the throne.