CHAPTER 18

Turns out, Namjoon did not talk to his father that evening.

He received an urgent call and had to rush to the military headquaters, by the time he returned, it was past midnight and his parents were asleep. He woke up later that day and the missed the change again. Namjoon could only hope his courage would remain until the time he came home.

Funny how he was a grown man and yet, his parents especially his father made all decisions regarding his life. His conversation with Taehyung the previous day had opened his eyes. He had absolutely no control over his life. 

And until now he had never spoken against his father. More like never had the courage to do so. But he hoped to set the record straight tonight. It's time he took matters of his life in his own hands.

Jin on the other hand was getting anxious as time passed. Tomorrow, tomorrow was the day he had to give his final decision. Then what was wrong? He had decided that he was going to decline a long time ago, then why was he hesitating?

That night his father called him outside for a walk. The father-son duo walked through the small path, breathing in the cold air. "It's going to snow soon", his father noted. "Hmmm"

"So, how was your little talk with the prince?" he inquired. Seokjin tried his best not to pull a face hearing that. "It was okay" he replied softly, "I don't like him too much. I don't want to marry him" he said with finality in his voice.

"How do you know his personality in one meeting?", his father questioned. "Well then how do you expect me to agree to the marriage in one meeting? It's simple: I don't like him and I don't want to marry him" Seokjin repeated.

"Seokjin listen to me", his father spoke, "I do not know on what grounds you declined his offer but I want to reconsider it again. And it's not because your mother and I want you to accept". Seokjin had to struggle no to roll his eyes. 

"You want me to accept it?". 

"Yes but that's not the point here. The point is have you thought about everything that will come to you once you get married? I understand that you have always wanted someone who would love you for the person you are and I think that the prince will fulfill that demand". 

That man will never be able to fulfill it".

"Also do you have the slightest idea of how much power and wealth you will amass? Wherever you go people will greet you with respect, everything you want will be fulfilled by your servants. You will be the queen my dear. And why worry about how you will carry out your duty towards the kingdom? That's the King's job so do not worry too much about it. You just have to go with him outside the palace once in a while and focus on your children. And do you know how much our business will profit from-".

"Why are you so focused on materialistic things Appa!?", Seokjin interrupted him. "And do you want me to get married just because your business will be profited?". "It's not like that dear-". "Stop lying Appa! I know you want the profit coming from it. I want the best for you all too", Seokjin whispered, holding his father's hand.

"I know Seokjin about how much you love helping people. After becoming a queen, you will much resources at had, you can visit different places and helping people residing there according to their needs. They will forever be thankful to you" he tried again and that seem to hit the mark as Seokjin hesitated to speak what he was about to.

Seokjin purposely decided to avoid speaking about the prince's behavior when they were alone, coming to the conclusion that his father might think he was bluffing to avoid getting married. And that's the last thing he wanted. Who knows, his father might force him to get married anytime now.