Chapter 23

K E N T

Sleep betrayed me last night. I lay awake in my bed, and stared at the empty ceiling too long that it felt like forever, while Joey slept soundly beside me. Yes, she slept in my room after we both poured our heart out, and the feeling was somehow liberating.

Maybe I wasn't able to sleep because my mind was already ahead of me; I was already imagining stuff that might happen on this trip. Truth is, the beach doesn't excite me– what made me look forward to this trip are the people I'll be with, especially Kevan.

I was seated next to him on our way to Punta Caballero. Buti na lang pumayag si Joey na sakyan ang drama namin ni Prince. Nakahinga ako ng maluwag when Kevan didn't seem to mind the sudden intimacy of Prince and Joey even though I know that Prince was taken aback with Joey's intimate treatment. I just gave Prince a wink and I think he understood what it meant.

So yeah, I told Joey everything about me, about Kevan and my feelings for him, about Prince and our complicated case– everything. She was silent the whole time while she tried to digest my revelation, and knowing her, I thought she was going to throw a tantrum. But I was wrong. She was calm and composed just like when she told me about her and Robin. But out of the blue, she slapped me.

She slapped me dahil hindi ko raw agad sinabi sa kaniya, dahil tinago ko raw sa kaniya. And I told her that I didn't know exactly what to tell her anyway, I still don't know what I am. But surprisingly, I felt relieved because of the slap she gave me. Then she hugged me so tight, and after a very long time, I felt secured, understood, and accepted. She gave me reassurances, encouragements, and pledged her support to whatever will make me happy. Indeed, it was kind of liberating.

It seemed as though my heart took a roller coaster ride when, out of the blue, I found myself locking lips with Kevan for the second time. Ang kulit kasi. I admit, the butterflies in my stomach were hysterical the moment Kevan gave me a peck on my cheeks. The rush of blood through my veins painted my cheeks with a rosy blush. I wasn't expecting it, I didn't know what to say.

Tapos kinulit pa niya ako lalo. Bawiin daw ba naman ang halik niya? Of course, I refused even though deep in my core, alam kong gustong-gusto ko naman. Kaso alam ko na binibiro niya lang ako, kaya tinakpan ko ang mukha niya ng kamay ko para mapigilan ang paglapit ng mukha niya sa mukha ko.

He even tickled me, and tried harder to plant his lips on my face; that's why I came up with a weird idea to make him stop: I kissed him.

That only summoned a cloud of awkwardness between us two. He remained silent for the rest of the trip, but I was just trying so hard to suppress the smile forming in my lips. Nah! I kissed Kevan – again. Napansin ko naman ang pagpula ng mga pisngi niya everytime na magkatinginan kami, o kahit dumampi lang ang mga balat ng kamay namin sa arm rest.

Kevan, you're so adorable.

Hanggang sa nakatulog na siya, at muli na namang sumandal ang ulo niya sa mga balikat ko. I had that strong urge to ruffle his hair, but I didn't. I sighed.

If you'd ask me what a beautiful life means, I'd let you lean your head on my shoulder, pull you closer to me and say, "Like this".

* * *

We finally reached Punta Caballero, and everybody seemed so excited. The island resort was truly breathtaking, and the look of wonder and anticipation in everyone's eyes, especially Timmy's, was contagious. He is very funny, he can poke humor in almost everything, that's why I kind of like having him around.