Chapter 7

K E N T

I just bought this paperback copy of The Revenge of Number Seven yesterday. This is the 5th book of the I Am Number Four Series. I'm not sure if familiar kayo dito because of the 1st book's movie adaptation, pero hindi na ata nasundan. Basta, big fan talaga ako ng series nato.

Anyway, I'm already half through the book while si Kevan naman ay busy parin kaka photoshop. I took my eyes off the book for a few seconds just to take a deep breath of reality. Minsan kasi, I get too consumed sa mga binabasa ko. Despite knowing that they're just fiction, I still get affected. A lot. You learn to love the characters of the book that you even feel their pain, their struggles and success.

I was about to continue reading when I heard Kevan singing along the chorus.

If I lay here,
if I just lay here,
would you lie with me
and just forget the world?

Sigh. I could stare at Kevan all day. His chinky eyes with those long eyelashes. Those lips. That perfect symmetry along the cupid's bow. Sometimes, when he parts his lips slightly, it makes me stop and wait in anticipation to see his lips move. But the thing I like the most? His smile. They're like rays of sunshine. And his laughter — ang sarap pakinggan.

"I'd do anything just to see you happy, Kevan." I thought.

I stared at him as though trying to memorize every inch of his face. I'd never get tired of staring at his face.

Sinasabayan niya ang chorus na hindi inaalis ang focus sa ginagawa niya. Why do I feel na saktong-sakto ang kanta ngayon sa nararamdaman ko?

In my mind — "Kevan, would you lie with me and just forget the world?"

As though he heard my thoughts, he took a quick glance at me and our eyes met. Geez! Those gorgeous eyes. There's something in his eyes that makes me melt inside.

It took a while for me to realize that we've been staring at each other for a long while. I immediately shifted my gaze towards the book in my hand. Damn, he caught me staring. Again.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not gay! I don't like boys, but... sigh. I don't understand why I feel this way. Di naman ako ganito dati eh — kay Kevan lang naman yata. I know I changed a lot. I'm not the same Kent that I was a year ago. I guess it all started when I met Kevan.

I can still remember the first time I saw him. First day of class, first year. Usual stuff, new classmates, new teachers. First day kaya introduce dito, introduce doon. But I was just there sitting at the very end of the last row by the window.

As usual, isa-isa kaming nagpakilala. We even had to tell something interesting about ourselves. I was quite anxious because I'm not comfortable speaking in front of many people. I felt detached from the world that day. Para akong nasa loob ng isang bubble. Nag Engineering kasi si Jansen eh. But wala naman akong magagawa, gusto niya kasi yun.

I didn't pay attention to what my classmates were saying. I guess I wasn't really interested to know ang mga interesting things sa kanila. Nakikinig lang ako sa music nun, loud enough to drown their laughters and cheers kapag may nagsasalita.

Kevan was seated 2 rows away from me. Too bad, I didn't hear what he said that day. But okay lang, what's important is ang ngayon, kung ano kami ngayon. Dati hindi ko talaga siya napapansin — wala akong napapansin. There was just me, my headset, and my personal space.

Never yata kami nakapag-usap ni Kevan before. Parang di niya rin kasi ako trip kausapin. Well, maybe he thought na suplado ako or unfriendly. Basta, we never got the chance to talk when we were in first year. I later learned that he was kind of intimidated by me. We finally started talking in our second year when we finally sat beside each other.