Chapter 27

K E N T

"Vodka?" I asked as Jansen still couldn't decide what to drink tonight.

For the first time, Dad gave us the freedom to pick any drink from his stash– of course not the darn expensive ones.

I still couldn't believe Dad let us have a sip of his $25,000 liquor. I know it's crazy; in fact I grew up trying to decipher Dad's bizarre obsession with intoxicating drinks. Di naman siya alcoholic, but mahilig lang talaga siyang mag collect ng mga alak na ang iba ay namana pa niya kay Lolo.

"Sige. Tara!" he replied as he took the bottle of Vodka and strode towards the staircase. I followed.

As we entered my room, Jansen immediately threw himself on the couch, still clutching the bottle of Vodka. He was grinning at me, probably because of the fact that we'll be drinking tonight, that I'll be drinking with him tonight. Nah! I have no plans of getting drunk though; just a couple of sips would do.

It was past midnight already. The dim light from the lampshade beside my bed casted shadows on the white walls, making my doodles seem alive and dancing. I drew the curtains and opened the window wide enough to let the light from the lamp post outside seep on the gap.

"Wala pala tayong shot glass," he said. I raised my eyebrow as I proceeded towards my bed and sat on the edge, facing him.

"Wag na! Straight from the bottle na lang!" he added.

I winced at the thought of us drinking on the same bottle, pero wala naman talagang issue sa 'kin yun. Di naman first time na uminom kami sa iisang bote. So I just nodded as he opened the bottle and gulped. Parang tubig lang sa kanya ang vodka.

Inabot niya sa akin ang bote, agad ko itong tinungga at napangiwi ako sa lasa. I really don't understand why people love to drink this kind of stuff; maybe it's not about the taste, but the feeling you get when you get drunk? Ugh, I don't like getting drunk either.

"Excited for the game tomorrow?" I asked.

He nodded and took another swig of the clear white liquor. Ang lakas talagang uminom ng mokong na 'to. I got excited for tomorrow's game. Dad will be there to support me and Jansen! I can no longer remember the last time he watched our game; so yeah, it's about time.

"Me too! And Dad's gonna be there," I said, grinning. But I think I saw a hint of sadness on his face.

Maybe I understand why. Maybe because he was thinking of his Dad. His father was a great man, and Jansen loved him so much that he was devastated when he passed away. I know, deep down in Jansen's core, he still takes the blame of what happened that day.

"I guess the Pep Squad's gonna be there too," I said, trying to deviate the topic. But he just cringed.

"Magpapakitang gilas na naman ang mga bakla," he muttered under his breath before taking another gulp.

Nakaka-ilang tungga na siya habang naka isa pa lang ako. I took the bottle from him and said, "Hey, not all of them are gays!" But he just smirked.

"Di ko alam bakit magkasundo kayo ng Kevan na yun. Ano bang meron sa kumag na yun, ha?" He said bluntly.

The sound of Kevan's name sent some weird sensations in my stomach. It made me wonder, kamusta kaya siya? Kumain na kaya siya? Ano kaya ginagawa niya? I found myself searching my pocket for my cellphone, but couldn't find it anywhere. Ugh!

Jansen was just eyeing me curiously. Uminom siya uli ng alak at nagulat ako nang kalahati na lang ang laman ng bote. Ngumisi lang siya and burped.

"Hey, Kevan's a good guy," I started. "He's really fun to hang out with. He smiles and laughs a lot. His clumsiness and love for chocolate amuse me. He's smart, talented..."