THIRTY: "My mind... It plays tricks on me"

CHAPTER THIRTY: "My mind... It plays tricks on me"

~~~~NOVA STAR'S TEMPLEOctober 2, 4:02 BST

~~~~
NOVA STAR'S TEMPLE
October 2, 4:02 BST

              "WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE THINGS SO DIFFICULT!"

               The sound of her echoing voice was closely followed by the crashing of books and furniture as the sorcerer had a meltdown that had been long overdue. Beams of gold magic shot out from her open palms, burning the walls and roofs of the circular room. Metal artefacts fell to the floor loudly, crashing against the old floorboard with loud bangs and thuds.

"Why can't you ever be clear with your words!" Nova kicked another pedestal over before marching to where the Helmet of Fate laid. She wrapped her hands around the edge of the bench it sat on, leaning forward to stare in the hollow eyes of the ancient artefact.

Her teeth grinded together as she tightened her grip on the bench. "You always have to be so unclear with what you say. You can't ever give me a straightforward answer, can you?"

The Helmet stared blankly back at her.

"Why can't you just tell me, Nabu?" Nova cried out, her voice cracking as her anger was slowly being replaced by sorrow. "Tell me who's worthy of the Helmet. I-I... I need you." She reached a shaking hand forward, resting it tenderly on the cold surface of the Helmet. "I don't know what I'm doing anymore..."

                "You're doing perfectly fine..." a voice whispered, making Nova hang her head.

                  When Nabu wasn't walking, his spirit always lurked around Nova. He would murmur in her ear, offering comfort that he couldn't physically give. But his murmurs were never long as he couldn't ever have a proper conversation with Nova when he didn't walk.

                  Most days, Nova was grateful for the small voice that filled her head. However, when her mentality plummeted and she couldn't see anything but negativity, she just wished she could speak to him and hug him as he protected her from all the chaos that surrounded them.

"I need you, Nabu..." she whispered, staring at the lifeless Helmet. "You know how you promised to guide me a century ago. Guide me through life and immortality?"

Silence followed, the Lord of Order's voice nowhere to be found.

"Well, I need you to do what you promised me..."