FORTY FIVE: "Well, would you look at that, no time like the present"

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE: "Well, would you look at that, no time like the present"

              "LEX LUTHOR... is your dad!?"

              Katherine suddenly felt breathless. She felt like the world came to a stop and everyone waited for her next move. She felt a mix of emotion suddenly rush through her: betrayal, worry, fear, sorrow... She felt paralysed, lost for words at the revelation.

                Connor forced their eye contact to be broken. "He's summoned me to Santa Prisca."

There was silence, and the Team turned expectingly to Katherine. The Girl of Steel was unable to put two words together, barely able to speak at the rate her brain was informing her of why to say. It felt like her mind was working in overdrive to try and comprehend the shocking reveal.

"Kat..." Connor began, his head still bowed in shame. "I'm sorry. I know what Luthor's done to your family."

Katherine squeezed her eyes shut, shaking her head suddenly. "Don't," she insisted, holding a hand out. "It's just... it's a lot to process..." Her shaking hands rubbed her eyes harshly and she blinked them open to focus on Connor. Katherine hurried forward, clasping her hands tightly onto Connor's shoulders. They made eye contact and Katherine forced a smile. "You're not him... you're not a Luthor."

Katherine took a deep breath. "I know I don't express it and my Dad most certainly doesn't, but you're one of us," she continued. "You're apart of our family whether you like it or not and you'll always be my brother." With that, she pulled him in for a tight hug, feeling him returning it with similar strength. Connor let out a shaky exhale, muttering a thank you into Katherine's shoulder.

"Ah... Listen, Superboy's not the only one suffering from bad DNA." Connor and Katherine quickly separated from their tight hug and watched as Artemis approached the computer. Three photographs were pulled up showing three different villains. "My mother is Huntress, an ex-con. The rest of my family aren't even ex. My Dad's Sportsmaster and he's sending my sister, Cheshire, to fly me to Santa Prisca too."

Katherine's eyes were wide and she shared similar shock with the rest of the Team. "I was not expecting that..."

"That's why..."

"Yeah," Artemis cut Wally off with a deep sigh. "I was so desperate to make sure none of you found out."

"I knew," Robin confessed with a wide grin despite Artemis' shock. "Hey, I'm a detective. But it never mattered. You aren't your family. You're one of us."

                  Wally was quick to agree, making his way forward and giving Artemis' shoulder a squeeze. They smiled at one another, and Wally propped his arm onto her shoulder. "So, who's next?" he remarked sarcastically, leaning against Artemis, who shockingly allowed him to.