TWENTY THREE: "Not being okay is okay..."

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: "Not being okay is okay..."

~~~~NOVA STAR'S TEMPLESeptember 15th, 03:03 BST

~~~~
NOVA STAR'S TEMPLE
September 15th, 03:03 BST

         THERE WAS ONCE A TIME WHERE FALLING ASLEEP WAS THE BEST PART OF NOVA'S DAY. But those days are long gone, and what remained was unfathomable for even her.

          She was always fortunate enough to not experience metal health issues like depression or anxiety, instead helping others who suffer from it. There once was a time where she didn't wake up in the middle of the night, sweating and hyperventilating from a nightmare that was really just a memory she attempted to suppress. But now, that was what her life involved.

         Though she was currently residing in an ancient temple that she trained in for many years shortly after being given immorality, nightmares were frequent and the face of Darkseid often invaded her vision. The protective spell casted over the temple to hide it from nonbelievers and let only a select few people in did nothing when giving Nova a sense of security. Her clouded mind kept bringing her back to her days on Apokolips. And due to the fact that she's woken up a few times screaming and crying, she was extremely glad the temple was empty.

          Tonight wasn't any different.

          Nova was close to finally dozing off after hours of rolling back and fourth when the high pitch ringing reappeared in her ears. She pushed her head into the thick white pillow with her hands clamped over her ears and face scrunched up. That's how it starts. Next, her back exploded with pain, the burn on her neck and whip mark cooperating together to bring her the worse type imaginable, just like he did. Joining that was a sharp stab in her side that made Nova flinch, fingers dropping to her rib and hesitantly gliding over the large scar that visibly represented a claw mark. Specifically, one of many parademons' claws that stabbed into her skin whilst she was there.

           And soon, the memories began to roll in.

          The cold damp floor she laid upon was beginning to become the thing Nova cherished. It was a sense of protection, somewhere she could heal after experiencing the unimaginable forms of torture Darkseid disposed upon her.

         She didn't know what time it was when she heard a small group marching to her enclosure. Her hand grasped tightly around the necklace she wore, one that had its chain coated in a scarlet red substance and once golden star charm broken in half and rusted. "I'm sorry, Hal," she whispered, her voice cracking at the thought of the Green Lantern she left behind. "Nabu, give me strength."

          Nova could barely see straight, let alone connect a proper thought as Darkseid's disciples came to collect her. DeSaad was the first one to her cell, and opened it with a nightmare educing grin upon his features before stepping aside and letting the parademons collect her.