THIRTY FOUR: "We may not have a few minutes"

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: "We may not have a few minutes"

~~~~
MOUNT JUSTICE
October 16, 16:01 ETD

KATHERINE KNEW AS SHE WATCHED THE SIMULATION PLAY THAT IT WASN'T REAL. She was aware that despite the drastic circumstances being displayed that this was merely a training exercise to test the Team's cooperation and partnership without the Justice League. She understood that by the end of it, despite what she was seeing, her father would be alive. That he'd truly never leave her.

It didn't make it any easier to watch. Seeing her father disintegrate in front of her eyes left an uneasy feeling in her stomach, fear edging into her heart and clutching tightly. She bowed her head in a short silence, swallowing back her nerves. She felt Robin's hand graze her own, but he hesitated and pulled away as she looked up, face lacking emotion. She hoped to keep a brave face and shield her emotions from the rest of the Team.

              Most of the Justice League had fallen with the exception of a few heroes fighting on the ground. The ship positioned just beyond Earth's atmosphere had successfully eliminated multiple of the League's most powerful members, including Superman, Captain Marvel, Martian Manhunter and even Batman. Not even the Dark Knight could escape death again this time.

           The Team stood in a strangling silence as the footage played, Red Tornado watching with them. A second screen appears beside the footage of the previous heroes deaths, revealing a clearly anxious Giovanni Zatara on the other end of the line. "Tornado, did you-?" he cuts himself off, unable to get himself to say it despite his low and worried tone.

            Red Tornado, though sounding typically emotionless was visibly effected by the Justice League's deaths. "Yes, Zatara. We saw," he answered. "Celestial defenses have failed. Initiate all terrestrial measures."

            "Affirmative." Zatara gave a brief nod. "See you in the field."

             As the screen shuts off, vanishing from sight, Red Tornado turned to address the Team. "I must join the League. We will protect the planet at all costs. But should we fail, the responsibility falls to you."

            Kaldur spared a glance at his friends before turning to Red Tornado, determined. "We stand ready."

            Red Tornado soon departed, headed for Central City where the violence was at the highest. The Team watched a news report in silence, analysing the threat as the remaining members of the Justice League fought to defend their home from the invaders.

           "This is Iris West-Allen reporting live. The extra-terrestrials have brought their relentless global attack to Central City." Screams and fearful yells echoed over the destructions as civillians dashed for cover in an attempt to savour their lives. The ships flew overhead, blasting at the streets below and killing many people, murdering them in groups.