TEN: "I'm basically your guardian angel"

CHAPTER TEN: "I'm basically your guardian angel"

~~~~
METROPOLIS
August 3rd, 7:38 CDT

         A FOURTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL WITH HAZELNUT COLOURED HAIR AND LIGHTLY COLOURED SKIN TYPED RAPIDLY ON HER CRACKED PHONE AS SHE PLAYED A MOBILE GAME. A leather jacket was wrapped around her waist, her feet flung up upon the dusty dashboard with her muddy sneakers only succeeding in dirtying it more.

         An older woman sat beside her in the driver seat, resting an elbow on the window beside her with her head placed on the palm of her hand, the other hand wrapped tightly around the steering wheel. Her eyebrows were crinkled together in what seemed like anger or annoyance, as her eyes focused ahead on the empty bridge they just drove onto. Her dyed blone hair was tied up in a messy bun, showing off her greying roots with the strands of hair clearly being a bit greasy and dirty after not being washed for almost a week now.

           Suddenly, the car swerved, startling the younger girl who's eyes immediately snapped up with feet moving from the dash. Ahead, two support cables fall down into traffic, causing a school bus filled, with young children eagerly heading to school, to swerve in an attempt to steer clear of the obstacle. The driver managed to pull the vehicle to a stop, but other cars and trucks weren't so lucky. First, a LexCorp truck slammed into the back on the way past accidentally, making the vehicle shift closer to the edge. A sports car speeds past soon after, unaware of the chaos before it collided into the back of the school bus as well, edging it closer to the edge with half of it now hanging off the edge.

The brunette fourteen year old screamed as the front of their car skidded to the side, slamming into the railing preventing anyone from falling and breaking it. The bonnet of their car bust open on impact with the front hanging dangerously from the edge. The airbags go off in sync with the crash, concealing the two passenger's eyes, but the youngest one quickly shoved it out the way only for the older woman to slam her hand on her shoulder and push her back.

"Alexandra, do not move," she says sternly, her eyes wide with fear.

Alexandra nodded rapidly in response, squeezing her eyes shut and clasping her left hand around her mother's, breathing heavily with her heart rapidly speeding up. "Please hurry Kat..." she whispered, her timid voice going unheard.

Well... To anyone with normal hearing.

"Alex..." Supergirl breathed out, eyes widening with fear and worry as she clearly hears her best friend's scared voice. She glanced to Superman, who flew beside her. "Alex is there."

Clark's eyebrow quirked up as he looked as his daughter with confusion lacing his features. "You can hear her?"

"Yeah... My hearing... It's been getting better," Katherine explained as they glided closer to the crumbling bridge. "I can hear her, she's scared."